Blaznek hat trick helps Thunder past Brahmas
Wichita, Kansas--Wichita Thunder center Joe Blaznek scored three consecutive goals to lead the Thunder to a 5-2 home ice win over the Fort Worth Brahmas on Tuesday night at the Kansas Coliseum in Wichita.
Blaznek scored one goal in the second period and then two goals in the third period en route to recording his third hat trick of the season. The Allen Park, Michigan native now has 35 goals on the year.
After the Brahmas took a 1-0 lead at the 19:53 mark of the first period on rookie forward Jimmy Sokol's first professional goal, the Thunder stormed back with five consecutive goals. Wichita d-man Chad Mazurak tied the game at one 2:52 into the second period, then Thunder center Travis Clayton scored at the 10:29 mark of the second to give Wichita their first lead of the game at 2-1. Blaznek then cranked things up, scoring three goals in a row, the last coming at the 13:59 mark of the third period, to stretch the Thunder lead to 5-1. A powerplay goal by Brahmas defenseman Eric Lind with 2:00 minutes left in regulation set the final score at 5-2.
With the win, the Thunder improved their record to 37-16-3 on the season. The loss was the third in a row for the Brahmas and drops their record to 25-23-6 on the season. Fort Worth remains five points behind the Tulsa Oilers for the fourth and final Northern Conference playoff spot. The Brahmas will try to keep their playoff hopes alive this Friday night, March 11, when they travel to the Ford Center in Oklahoma City to battle the Blazers at 7:35 p.m. Friday night's game can be heard live on KTFW 1460 AM, with the pregame show beginning at 7:20 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 10, 2005
- Two Gorillas nominated for CHL year-end awards - Amarillo Gorillas
- Gorillas' push for the playoffs continues with two home games this weekend - Amarillo Gorillas
- Bucks Cap Terrific Week, Move Alone Into First Place In SE Division - Laredo Bucks
- RiverKings make roster move, tomorrow night's game on 96.1 FM - Mississippi RiverKings
- Tarantulas team up with March of Dimes - Topeka Tarantulas
- Blaznek hat trick helps Thunder past Brahmas - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Eagles claim Bud Poile Governors Cup - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.