Blazers Ink Forward Ryan Powell to One-Year Deal
Boston, MA (January 24, 2011) Boston Blazers President and General Manager Doug Reffue announced today pending league approval the one-year signing of forward Ryan Powell, brother of current Blazers forward All-Star, Casey Powell.
Powell joined the NLL in 2001 when he drafted in the first round (second overall) by the Buffalo Bandits. In his rookie season, Powell recorded 35 points with 17 goals and 18 assists before moving to the Anaheim Storm for one season. With the Storm, Powell played sixteen games and scored 15 goals and 31 assists (46 points).
Following the Storm's dispersal draft in 2005, Powell then moved to the Portland LumberJax through a trade with the Minnesota Swarm. With the LumberJax, Powell had his career-best season with 64 points (21 goals, 43 assists), led the team to the 2008 Champions Cup, and had an overall 218 points (74 goals, over four seasons before being picked up by the Edmonton Rush in the Jax's dispersal draft in 2009. With the Rush last season, Ryan once again scored over fifty points (21 goals, 30 assists) and to date has 412 career points including 258 assists through 122 games.
"Ryan is a proven NLL veteran who's had four straight seasons with 50 or more points," said Reffue Monday afternoon. "There will obviously be some immediate chemistry with Casey and Dan Dawson has also had success playing alongside Ryan in Portland. Overall, he's a perfect fit for our club and should make an immediate impact."
A thirty-three year old native of West Carthage, New York, Powell also plays for Major League Lacrosse with whom he won the league's inaugural MVP award in 2001. In 2006, Powell was awarded MLL's Offensive Player of the Year Award and is the only player to receive the MVP award twice. Powell attended Syracuse University from 1997-2000 where he was a four-time All-American and helped lead their squad to the 1999 and 2000 NCAA Championship Games.
Powell will join the Blazers for their match-up this Friday against the Philadelphia Wings at the TD Garden at 7:30pm. Boston will then travel to take on the Rochester Knighthawks on the road on Saturday, January 29th at 7:35pm at the Blue Cross Arena. Tickets are still available at blazerslacrosse.com or by calling 888-BLAZERS.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from January 25, 2011
- Knighthawks Go for First Home Win this Weekend - Rochester Knighthawks
- 1-25 Roughnecks Weekly - Calgary Roughnecks
- Final Installment of "The X" Premieres - Buffalo Bandits
- Blazers Ink Forward Ryan Powell to One-Year Deal - Boston Blazers
- NLL Players on Team Canada - Calgary Roughnecks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Boston Blazers Stories
- Boston Blazers to Move Operations for 2013 Season
- Blazers Dawson & Cosmo Named to All Pro Teams
- Blazers Kyle Rubisch Named to 2011 NLL All-Rookie Team
- Blazers Season Ends in 11-10 Loss in Divisional Semifinal to Buffalo
- Blazers Set to Battle Division Leader Bandits in Divisional Semifinals