Black's Shootout Goal Lifts Bulls over IceRays for Third Straight Win
Amarillo, TX - Ty Black's lone, shootout goal and Charlie Glockner's three stops secured a comeback victory for the Amarillo Bulls, as the team topped the Corpus Christi IceRays 2-1 in the shootout on Thursday night.
Amarillo looked to ride the momentum of last weekend's sweep of the IceRays, as they came out firing a number of quality chances in the first period of action. The IceRays, who were buried in their own zone for a large majority of the period, found just one opportunity on net in the opening 20 minutes and would capitalize when Shane Bull lifted a shot from the slot past Bulls goalie Charlie Glockner. Despite the 13-1 lead in shots, the Bulls would trail 1-0 into the first intermission.
The IceRays looked to grow their lead with a handful of early chances in the second period. The Bulls, who found less offensive chances in the second frame, were able to tie the game at 1-1 when Jordan Venegoni turned a one-timer from Matt Allen through the pads of IceRays goalie Cal Sandquist. Venegoni's tally would be his fourth in as many games, binging his four-game point total to six. The two teams would take the tied score line into the third period.
After the third period produced few shots, and no go-ahead goals, the two sides needed overtime to attempt to settle the bout. Glockner would make a number of rapid-fire saves, sprawling out with his pads, to keep the Bulls tied with the IceRays through the extra time.
With no one finding the back of the net in regulation, Ty Black, Amarillo's first shooter, netted the only goal of the shootout, while Glockner stopped three of three to pick up the victory.
With the victory, the Bulls now own a 11-4-1-1 record and 24 points in the South Division standings.
The Bulls remain in Corpus Christi to take on the IceRays in the weekend finale on Friday from the American Bank Center. Mark Shelley will broadcast the game from the Spicy Mike's Bar-B-Q Broadcast Booth, and the action will begin at 7:05PM CST on 107.1 Nash Icon and Hockey TV.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from November 7, 2019
- Black's Shootout Goal Lifts Bulls over IceRays for Third Straight Win - Amarillo Bulls
- Tomahawks Put Down Rebels 2-1 - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Weekend Preview: Titans Have Bye Weekend - New Jersey Titans
- Immonen Commits - Minot Minotauros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Amarillo Bulls Stories
- Powerplay Pushes Bulls Past Ice Wolves on Saturday Night
- Bulls Upended in Shootout Loss to New Mexico
- Bulls Hold off IceRays Late Push for Fourth Straight Win
- Black's Shootout Goal Lifts Bulls over IceRays for Third Straight Win
- Glockner's Shutout Lifts Bulls to Weekend Sweep of IceRays