TODAY'S GAME: This afternoon, the Buffalo Bisons face the Norfolk Tides in the third game of a four-game series at Harbor Park (12:15 p.m.). The series is tied a game apiece as the Herd won 4-2 on Tuesday and the Tides struck for a 5-3 win last night. Buffalo is now 2-4 on their eight-game roadtrip. After Friday's game, the Bisons will return home for an eight-game homestand against Indianapolis and Durham.
VS. TIDES: The Bisons and Tides have played six games against each other with each team collecting three wins. The teams split a four-game set back at Coca-Cola Field, May 8-11. With only two games left, Buffalo needs to win them both for the season-series victory. The Bisons have lost a season-series against Norfolk only once since rejoining the I.L. in 1998 (2008, 3-4 vs. Tides).
HITTING 10: OF Wily Mo Pena became the first Bisons player to record a 10-game hit streak this season. The slugger went 1-4 with an RBI last night and is now hitting .325 (13-40) since his streak began on May 25. During the streak, Pena has also collected a double, two home runs and six RBI. The streak has raised his average 48 points from .200 to .248.
ROSTER MOVES: Just prior to last night's game, the Bisons received two more players. INF Luis Rivera was promoted from St. Lucie (A) and had two hits in his Triple-A debut last night. The Mets also signed OF Matt Watson and assigned him to the Bisons. Watson, who was playing with Doosan Bears in the Korean Baseball League, hit .290 (73-252) with five home runs and 30RBI in 76 games with Syracuse last season.
DONE LIKE DESSENS: RHP Elmer Dessens has converted his last six save opportunities. On the year, the veteran has struck out 19 batters and allowed just 17 hits in 26.2 innings of work. Opponents are hitting just .183 off him.
UNHAPPY LIST: The Bisons have seven players on the disabled list: RHP Dillon Gee, INF Andy Green, INF Mark Kiger, OF Bobby Kielty, RHP Carlos Muniz, C Mike Nickeas and INF Argenis Reyes. On the year, the Bisons have already lost 161 man-games to injury. With his appearance last night, INF Luis Rivera became the 47th player in 51 games to suit up for the Bisons.
MEET THE METS: The Mets (28-23) game against the Pirates was postponed last night due to rain. The teams will make up the game on July 2. The same two teams will close out their series from Pittsburgh today at 12:35 p.m. The Mets are trying to bounce back from a pair of losses as they now sit three games behind Philadelphia for first place in the National League East division.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 4, 2009
- Indianapolis and Lehigh Valley Split Double-Header - Indianapolis Indians
- Mud Hens Win a Wet One - Durham Bulls
- Knights Clippers Rained Out - Charlotte Knights
- Former Red Sox Pitching Coach Joins Chiefs - Syracuse Mets
- Norfolk loses to Buffalo - Norfolk Tides
- Buffalo Sabres center Derek Roy to sign autographs at Frontier Field on June 20 - Rochester Red Wings
- International League News And Notes - IL1
- McCutchen Named Tribe's May Player of the Month - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Notes - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Buffalo Bisons Stories
- Power Alley Podcast with Steve Goldberg
- Bisons Mourn Passing of Ted Savage
- Tickets Now on Sale for 3rd Annual Micah Hyde Charity Softball Game (May 7) at Sahlen Field
- Blue Jays Announce Five Players Signed Including RHP Casey Lawrence
- Toronto Blue Jays Announce Several Minor League Signings Including 2022 Bisons RHP Casey Lawrence