Bell Delivers Game-Winner in Eleventh, 1-0
WALDORF, Maryland - Bubba Bell delivered the game-winning RBI single in the top of the 11th with two outs to secure the Skeeters a series split with a 1-0 win over the Blue Crabs at Regency Furniture Stadium Sunday evening.
With Ofilio Castro on second after a leadoff single and Jason Lane on first after an intentional-walk, Bubba Bell knocked a looping single into left to score Castro from second to give the Skeeters a 1-0 lead going into the last half-inning. Charlie Manning (5-5) picked up the loss after working one inning after facing six batters.
Gary Majewski (5-2) pitched three scoreless innings of relief to pick up the win using three double plays, one in each inning from the ninth on, to hold the game for Sugar Land. Casey Benjamin lined into the unconventional three-unassisted double play giving Josh Pressley the chance to make the catch on a line drive shot and tag first base with one runner on to end the game.
In a pitcher's duel at Regency Furniture Stadium, neither starter picked up a decision. Michael Nix threw six-scoreless innings walking just one batter while striking out three scattering three hits. Matthew Vasquez went eight innings while striking out three and allowing four singles.
The Skeeters end the regular season series against the Blue Crabs with a win but manage a (7-13) record in the 20 games played against each other.
Coming up next...The Sugar Land Skeeters (18-19) continue their longest road trip of the second half with their second four-game series against the first-place Lancaster Barnstormers (23-13) at Clipper Magazine Stadium starting Monday night. Lefty Kelvin Villa (1-5, 5.36 ERA) makes his fifth start of the season against righty Mark Brackman (7-6, 4.46 ERA) with first pitch scheduled for 6:05 p.m. CDT. The Skeeters return home August 24 for a six-game home stand with the Bridgeport Bluefish at Constellation Field. Get your tickets by calling 281.240.HITS or checking SugarLandSkeeters.com.
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from August 19, 2012
- Bridgeport Sweeps Doubleheader - Bridgeport Bluefish
- Walk-Off RBI Single by Rogers Propels Bluefish to Victory - Somerset Patriots
- McCoy Stymies Barnstormers as Ducks Gain Split - Lancaster Barnstormers
- McCoy Dazzles in Complete Game Win - Long Island Ducks
- Bell Delivers Game-Winner in Eleventh, 1-0 - Sugar Land Skeeters
- Revs Continue To Fire On All Cylinders, Sweeping Riversharks - York Revolution
- Ducks Sign Three - Long Island Ducks
- Bridgeport Blanks Somerset 4-0 in Game One of Doubleheader - Somerset Patriots
- Godwin, Stormers Set Records In Win Over Ducks - Lancaster Barnstormers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.