BayHawks Start Building Roster
Erie, Pennsylvania, Thursday, October 31 - The Erie BayHawks have started to build their 2013-14 roster prior to the start of Friday night's NBA Development League Draft. Four players from last year's squad will return to the BayHawks for Training Camp. They will be joined by two players the team acquired via the affiliate rule, which allows D-League teams to obtain the rights of players released by their parent clubs during NBA Training Camps.
Returning to the team are guards Mustafa Shakur, Terrel Harris and Nick Covington as well as forward Terrence Jennings. Forwards C.J. Leslie and Justin Brownlee will join Erie following their releases from the New York Knicks.
Shakur (6-3, 190, Arizona) played in seven games for the BayHawks last season, scoring 17.1 points, dishing out 5.6 assists and grabbing 4.4 rebounds per game for Erie. His rights were acquired in a mid-season trade with the Rio Grande Valley Vipers.
Harris (6-5,190, Oklahoma State) appeared in 12 games with Rio Grande Valley last season prior to his trade to Erie. While with the Vipers, he averaged 12.5 points, 7.2 rebounds and 3.3 assists per game while shooting 47% from behind the arc. He was immediately signed by the New Orleans Hornets following his trade to Erie and he never saw any action with the BayHawks last season.
Covington (6-2, 200, Oklahoma City) saw action in 47 games last season, including 38 starts. He averaged 9.4 points and 2.9 assists per game while shooting a team-high 39.9% from three-point range. Covington participated in the Las Vegas Summer League with the NBA D-League Select team.
Jennings (6-11, 230, Louisville) appeared in one game for Erie last season following a trade from the Iowa Energy. In 17 minutes of action, he scored 11 points, grabbed three rebounds and blocked three shots against the Maine Red Claws. He participated with the New York Knicks Summer League team in Las Vegas this past summer.
Leslie (6-9, 205, N.C. State) averaged 15.1 points and 7.4 rebounds with the Wolfpack during his junior season. The former McDonald's All-American attended Word of God Christian Academy, where he played alongside current Washington Wizard, John Wall. He also spent time on the Knicks Summer League team this season.
Brownlee (6-7, 220, St. John's) appeared in 50 games during the 2011-12 season with the Maine Red Claws, averaging eight points and five rebounds per game. He participated with the Knicks Summer League team in Las Vegas for the past two years and also spent time playing professionally in Mexico.
The remainder of the BayHawks roster will be assembled via Friday night's NBA Development League Draft. In all, the BayHawks are allowed to invite 17 players to next week's Training Camp. The BayHawks open the season on November 22 at the newly renovated Erie Insurance Arena against division rival Canton Charge. Season tickets and mini plans are on sale now and can be purchased by calling 814-790-5600.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from October 31, 2013
- Santa Cruz Warriors Acquire Returning Player Rights to Chris Taft - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Armor Invite 11 Players to Training Camp - Springfield Armor
- Iowa Energy Acquire Former Iowa State Cyclone Diante Garrett - Iowa Wolves
- 66ers Acquire No. 1 Overall Pick and Ben Uzoh - Tulsa 66ers
- Austin Toros Announce Returning Players and Camp Invitees - Austin Spurs
- Fox Sports' Ephraim Salaam Invited to Legends Training Camp - Texas Legends
- Legends Announce "Love Those Legends" Fan Tour Presented by Smith Thompson Home Security - Texas Legends
- Skyforce Announces Initial 2013-14 Training Camp Invitees - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- BayHawks Start Building Roster - Erie BayHawks
- Individual Game Tickets Available Friday - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- 2013 NBA D-League Draft Features More Than 180 Eligible Players - G League
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Erie BayHawks Stories
- Erie BayHawks Women's Weekend March 6-7
- New Orleans Pelicans Mardi Gras Night Saturday, February 22
- BayHawks Complete Trade with Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Josh Gray Named to Eastern Conference Midseason All-NBA G League Team
- BayHawks Fall 99-121 During Annual School Kids Jam Game