Batherson Named MVP as North Division Wins 2019 AHL All-Star Challenge
January 28, 2019 - American Hockey League (AHL) News Release
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. ... Belleville Senators forward Drake Batherson scored five times on the night to earn Most Valuable Player honors, helping the North Division to a 1-0 shootout win over the Atlantic Division to win the 2019 AHL All-Star Challenge on Monday night.
The AHL All-Star Challenge is a round-robin tournament among the league's four divisions, played at 3-on-3. The evening capped the 2019 Lexus AHL All-Star Classic presented by MGM Springfield at a sold-out MassMutual Center.
Batherson, one of the 24 AHL All-Stars this season who have been recalled to the National Hockey League already in 2018-19, accounted for five goals in the North Division's three preliminary games before converting on his shootout attempt after a scoreless championship match. Toronto's Trevor Moore scored the deciding goal in the fourth round of the shootout.
Utica's Reid Boucher and Cleveland's Nathan Gerbe each scored twice and Toronto's Calle Rosen recorded five assists for the North, which successfully defended its 2018 All-Star Challenge title. Hartford's John Gilmour (3g, 1a) and Charlotte's Andrew Poturalski (1g, 3a) notched four points each to pace the Atlantic offense.
Texas's Denis Gurianov tallied two goals and two assists for the Central Division, and Ontario's Sean Walker led the Pacific Division with three goals.
Hershey's Vitek Vanecek was the top goaltender on the evening, stopping 18 of the 20 shots he faced in 21 minutes of work for the Atlantic Division.
The road to the 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs continues when the American Hockey League's 83rd season resumes on Thursday.
2019 AHL All-Star Challenge Results
Game 1 - Atlantic Division 3, Central Division 1
Game 2 - Pacific Division 4, North Division 2
Game 3 - North Division 4, Central Division 2
Game 4 - Atlantic Division 5, Pacific Division 2
Game 5 - Central Division 5, Pacific Division 3
Game 6 - North Division 4, Atlantic Division 1
Championship - North Division 1, Atlantic Division 0 (SO)
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 28, 2019
- Batherson Named MVP as North Division Wins 2019 AHL All-Star Challenge - AHL
- Kings Acquire Two Players, First-Round Draft Pick from Toronto in Exchange for Jake Muzzin - Ontario Reign
- Davis, Cannata Reassigned to Utah Grizzlies - Colorado Eagles
- Roadrunners First Responders Night Set for February 2 - Tucson Roadrunners
- John Anderson Inducted into AHL Hall of Fame - Chicago Wolves
- Manitoba Moose Weekly: January 28 - Manitoba Moose
- Amerks, Hilton Garden Inn Announce Details of 'Weekend Getaway' Promotion - Rochester Americans
- Condors Youth Jersey Giveaway Friday - Bakersfield Condors
- American Hockey League Hall of Fame Inducts Class of 2019 - AHL
- Wolf Pack Weekly, January 28-February 3 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Checkers' Harry Potter Night Is Friday - Charlotte Checkers
- Chris Lawrence Hits the Ice in AHL All-Star Classic Executives Game - Hartford Wolf Pack
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.