Bandits Steal Last Regular Season Game from Boston; Playoff Spot Still in Contention
Boston, MA- The scoring started early and often as the Boston Blazers traveled to the HSBC Arena Saturday evening to take on the Buffalo Bandits in their final regular season game. Despite high scoring efforts from Nick Cotter and Gary Bining, Boston was defeated 13-10. The Blazers playoff hopes now depend on a loss by the Rochester Knighthawks who take on the Washington Stealth at 10:30 EST Saturday night.
Buffalo took a quick lead as Mike Accursi, Roger Vyse, and Brett Bucktooth knocked in three in a row but Boston would counter with a power play goal by Daryl Veltman and then a goal just 21 seconds by Nick Cotter. Vyse would point his second of the evening off an assist from Mark Steenhuis at the 8:15 mark to bring the Bandit lead back to two.
John Tavares and Accursi would net two more for the Bandits while Paul Dawson and Cotter scored two for Boston to end the first quarter at 7-4 in Buffalo's favor.
The Blazers brought the score within one in the second quarter as Cotter scored an unassisted goal at the 5:57 mark followed by a shorthanded goal by Jamie Rooney off an assist from captain Dan Dawson. Accursi and Tavares scored the final goals of the half bringing it to 9-7 for Buffalo.
The third quarter was dominated by the Bandits as Frank Resetarits, Tavares, and Steenhuis recorded goals and the Blazers were held scoreless bringing it to 12-7.
Gary Bining would score three straight power play goals for the Blazers off assists from Dawson and Mat Giles in the fourth quarter but Boston could not come back the high scoring first from Buffalo. Bining and Cotter both finished with three goals on the evening while Dawson recorded seven assists in the loss. Tavares and Accursi led Buffalo with three goals and three assists a piece.
Boston goaltender Anthony Cosmo had 31 saves on 44 shots on goal and Mike Thompson stopped 46 of 56 shots for Buffalo.
For more information about the Boston Blazers, visit blazerslacrosse.com or call 888-BLAZERS.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from April 24, 2010
- Washington Ends Rochester's Season - Rochester Knighthawks
- Titans Drop Swarm in Overtime - Orlando Titans
- Minnesota Swarm Fall To Orlando In Ot Thriller - Minnesota Swarm
- Knighthawks: Win And They're In The Playoffs - Rochester Knighthawks
- Bandits Steal Last Regular Season Game from Boston; Playoff Spot Still in Contention - Boston Blazers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Boston Blazers Stories
- Boston Blazers to Move Operations for 2013 Season
- Blazers Dawson & Cosmo Named to All Pro Teams
- Blazers Kyle Rubisch Named to 2011 NLL All-Rookie Team
- Blazers Season Ends in 11-10 Loss in Divisional Semifinal to Buffalo
- Blazers Set to Battle Division Leader Bandits in Divisional Semifinals