Bandits Pull Away Late From Comets on Independence Day to Extend Winning Streak to Ten
Rosemont, Ill. - Rachel Fico pitched a complete game shutout and was the lynchpin of a 4-0 victory for the Chicago Bandits (16-3) over the Cleveland Comets (9-14) on Thursday.
Fico was dominant in the pitching circle, striking out eight batters. She allowed two hits the entire game and only three baserunners as a whole.
"[Amanda Chidester] did a great job behind the plate and calling a good game today," Fico said. "She changed speeds, she worked tunnels and she was able to keep my pitch count down by keeping the hitters off balance."
Not to be outdone, Comets pitcher Randi Rupp started the game off strong in a contest that began as a low scoring pitcher's duel. Through the first four innings, Rupp didn't give up a hit and allowed one baserunner.
The Bandits were able to open things up offensively in the fifth inning. Kristyn Sandberg got the first hit of the game for the Bandits with a double down the left field line. With a Gwen Svekis walk, Sierra Hyland came in to relieve Rupp in the pitcher's circle. After Nadia Taylor loaded the bases with another walk, Brenna Moss brought in two runs with a blooper single over third base. Jessie Scroggins batted in another run on a single to extend the lead to 3-0 by the end of the fifth inning.
Abbey Cheek hit a solo home run in the sixth inning to add another run to help seal the win for the Bandits. The rookie third baseman has now hit three home runs so far on the season.
The Bandits will look to extend their winning streak to 11 games as they continue their series with the Comets on Friday, July 5th at 7:35 C.T.
Images from this story
Abbey Cheek of the Chicago Bandits
Chicago Bandits pitcher Rachel Fico
• Discuss this story on the National Pro Fastpitch message board...
National Pro Fastpitch Stories from July 4, 2019
- Bandits Pull Away Late From Comets on Independence Day to Extend Winning Streak to Ten - Chicago Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Bandits Stories
- Bandits Win Double Header Over Comets to Complete Series Sweep and Extend Winning Streak to 13
- Bandits Cruise Past Comets to Secure 11th Straight Win
- Bandits Pull Away Late From Comets on Independence Day to Extend Winning Streak to Ten
- Bandits Extend Winning Streak to 9 with a Series Opener Victory Over the Comets
- Florida Right-Hander Barnhill Headlines Bandits' 2019 Draft Class