Bandits Extend Winning Streak to 9 with a Series Opener Victory Over the Comets
Rosemont, Ill. - Aleshia Ocasio pitched four shutout innings in relief to ensure a 8-1 victory for the Bandits (15-3) over the Comets (9-13) on Wednesday.
After replacing starter Haylie Wagner in the third inning, Ocasio only allowed two baserunners. Ocasio contributed offensively as well with a single and a run scored. Paige Lowary came in to relieve Ocasio and finish the game in the seventh inning, extending the Bandits' winning streak to nine games.
"I think mixing my pitches more than I have been this summer really helped out," Ocasio said. "Gwen [Svekis] did a good job of pitch calling and I really just tried to throw my rise more often and tried to keep them off balance."
Despite Comets' starting pitcher Shelby McCombs entering the game with a 0.29 ERA, the Bandits were able to generate offense early and often off of the rookie. Sandberg got the scoring started in the first inning with a sacrifice fly that scored Brenna Moss. Jessica Scroggins would go on to score on the same play as the result of a Comets error.
The Comets scored a run in the top of the second off of a Carly Thomas double. The Bandits responded in the bottom of the inning with a Katie Reed run coming off of a Moss ground out to extend their lead to 3-1.
In the third inning, Emily Crane chipped in with a solo home run to further extend the Bandits' advantage. Crane's home run was her fourth of the season, tying her with USSSA Pride's Amanda Lorenz for the league lead.
After two scoreless innings, the Bandits added four runs for insurance in the 6th inning. Amanda Chidester opened the floodgates with an RBI double to score Scroggins. Alyssa Dicarlo would go on to hit Chidester home with a single. With the bases loaded after Courtney Gano reached base on a hit by pitch, D.J Sanders added the final two runs for the Bandits with a single.
The Bandits will continue their series with the Comets on Thursday, July 4th at 3:05 CT.
Images from this story
Brenna Moss (right) and Emily Crane of the Chicago Bandits
• Discuss this story on the National Pro Fastpitch message board...
National Pro Fastpitch Stories from July 3, 2019
- Pride Dominate Game Three - USSSA Pride
- Bandits Extend Winning Streak to 9 with a Series Opener Victory Over the Comets - Chicago Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Bandits Stories
- Bandits Win Double Header Over Comets to Complete Series Sweep and Extend Winning Streak to 13
- Bandits Cruise Past Comets to Secure 11th Straight Win
- Bandits Pull Away Late From Comets on Independence Day to Extend Winning Streak to Ten
- Bandits Extend Winning Streak to 9 with a Series Opener Victory Over the Comets
- Florida Right-Hander Barnhill Headlines Bandits' 2019 Draft Class