B-Sens Hold Lead and Beat Amerks 5-2
ROCHESTER, N.Y. - The Binghamton Senators beat the Rochester Americans 5-2 on the road at the Blue Cross Arena. Eleven B-Sens players registered points on the night while Cole Schneider and Max McCormick led the offense with a goal and an assist each.
The Amerks' Cal O'Reilly struck just 14 seconds into the game's first power play to give Rochester the 1-0 lead. Binghamton responded with a power-play strike 6:14 into the first period after Michael Kostka sent a wrist shot past Nathan Lieuwen for his fourth goal of the season. Guillaume Lepine gave the B-Sens the 2-1 lead when he converted a wrap-around attempt with less than five minutes to play in the opening frame. Chris Driedger turned aside 12 of 13 Amerks' shots in the opening 20 minutes to keep Binghamton's one-goal lead heading into the first intermission.
Schneider knocked home a loose puck in front of Lieuwen 2:36 into the second period to increase Binghamton's lead to 3-1 and subsequently ending Lieuwen's night in net as Linus Ullmark came in relief. Tim Schaller once again made it a one-goal contest with his seventh goal just past the five-minute mark of the middle frame. Binghamton outshot the Amerks 12-10 over the period to take the 3-2 lead into the final break.
Kyle Flanagan brought the B-Sens lead back to two goals just 30 seconds into the final period off assists from McCormick and David Dziurzynski for his third goal of the year. McCormick added a final insurance goal on an empty-net tally with 14 seconds remaining to push the final score to 5-2.
Chris Driedger finished with 32 saves to earn the win while Ullmark had 16 saves, but Lieuwen was handed the loss stopping 7 shots.
B-Sens finish up their away stretch of games on Saturday in Toronto against the Marlies at 5:00p.m. before heading into the AHL All-Star Break. Fans can listen live on US 96.9FM, WINR 680AM or on the iHeart Radio app.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 29, 2016
- Rampage Top Barracuda 2-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Third Period Goals Propels Pirates Sweep of IceCaps - Portland Pirates
- Bridgeport ends Hartford's win streaK - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bertschy's Hat Trick Thrills 8,624 in 5-4 OT Win - Iowa Wild
- Checkers Stumble to 5-4 Overtime Loss in Iowa - Charlotte Checkers
- Rampage Hand Barracuda 6th Straight Loss - San Jose Barracuda
- Bardreau's OT Magic Caps Phantoms' Come-From-Behind Triumph - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Penguins Suffer First Overtime Loss of the Season, Drop 4-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Outlasted by Bears, 5-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks' Win Streak Snapped in 5-2 Loss to B-Sens - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Shut Out At Rockford - Chicago Wolves
- Albany Devils' Comeback Spoiled in Overtime - Albany Devils
- Bears Upend Crunch - Hershey Bears
- Streak Ends with Loss to Bridgeport - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Late Rally Lifts Toronto Past Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- P-Bruins Dominate in 8-1 Barn Burner against Falcons - Providence Bruins
- B-Sens Hold Lead and Beat Amerks 5-2 - Binghamton Senators
- Monsters Outshine Stars, 3-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- IceCaps Iced by Pirates 4-2 - St. John's IceCaps
- Falcons Downed by Bruins in 8-1 Loss - Springfield Falcons
- Stars Win Streak Ends with 3-2 Loss to Lake Erie - Texas Stars
- Zalewski's Two-Goal Return Propels Comets to OT Win in Albany - Utica Comets
- Destiny USA to Host Third Floor Puck Chuck with Eight AHL Mascots January 31 - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Return Home Saturday Night - Milwaukee Admirals
- Condors Game Preview: Princess Night - Bakersfield Condors
- B-Sens Going Purple: Annual DIFD Game Set for February 6 - Binghamton Senators
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign and Gulls Collide Tonight in San Diego - Ontario Reign
- IceHogs Wrap up Home Stand against the Wolves - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat Reveal Black Alternate Jersey to be Worn at Select Home Games - Stockton Heat
- Dunkin' Donuts to Offer Travel Cup Giveaway During 2016 Toyota AHL All-Star Challenge February 1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Game Day: Albany Devils vs. Utica Comets, 7 pm - Albany Devils
- Annual Wendy's Skate with the Amerks Event Slated for Tuesday, February 16 - Rochester Americans
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Penguins Reassign Harrison Ruopp - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.