Austin Spurs Slips Away from the Vipers
Hidalgo, Texas- The Rio Grande Valley Vipers (18-14) fell to the Austin Spurs (14-17) by the score of 103-108.
RGV's Darius Morris scored 24 points on the night. Two Vipers recorded double-doubles. Chinanu Onuaku had 14 points and 11 rebounds while JP Tokoto scored 14 points and 10 rebounds. Bryn Forbes, on assignment from the San Antonio Spurs, scored 20 points.
The Vipers struggled to find their offensive rhythm early in the game. Bryn Forbes had nine points in the first and helped the Spurs obtain a 21-29 lead.
The Vipers kept the game closer in the second quarter. Gary Payton II scored eight in the quarter. Austin's Dejounte Murray did his part and scored seven points for the Spurs on the second quarter to help the away team maintain the lead. The first half ended 51-58.
RGV had their best performance in the third quarter in which they outscored the Spurs 30-25. A Tokoto three-pointer gave the Vipers their first lead in the game with 8:16 in the game. Austin's bench came up big in the third. Livio Jean-Charles and Jeff Ledbetter both scored six points in the quarter.
Cory Jefferson's nine points in the final quarter helped the away team slip away with the 108-103 win. Jefferson ended the night with 14 points and seven rebounds. All five starting players for the Vipers ended the night with double digit scoring.
The Rio Grande Valley Vipers will rest and prepare for an away back-to-back series against Sioux Falls. The first game on the series will be on Friday, February 10.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 4, 2017
- Warriors Drop Road Contest to the Suns - Santa Cruz Warriors
- SKYFORCE OVERPOWERS THE LEGENDS - Texas Legends
- Skyforce Overpowers the Legends - Texas Legends
- D-Fenders Downed in Oklahoma City - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Red Claws Survive Sevens in OT - Maine Red Claws
- BayHawks Outlast Charge - Erie BayHawks
- Drive Rally from 18 Down to Hand 905 First Road Loss - Grand Rapids Drive
- Game Notes: at Texas Legends - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Westchester Knicks Run Down by Windy City Bulls - Westchester Knicks
- Chicago Bulls Recall Denzel Valentine - Windy City Bulls
- Kings Recall Papagiannis from Reno Bighorns - Reno Bighorns
- Warriors Sign Briante Weber to 10-Day Contract - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Boston Celtics Assign Jordan Mickey to Maine Red Claws - Maine Red Claws
- Denzel Valentine Leads Windy City Past Westchester in OT Thriller - Windy City Bulls
- Warriors Defeat Iowa, Notching Hill's 100th Career Win - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Energy Test Warriors Resiliency, Drop Contest - Iowa Wolves
- Bighorns Fall to the Stars - Reno Bighorns
- Legends Snap Streak with Big Win over Blue - Texas Legends
- Austin Spurs Slips Away from the Vipers - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Westchester Knicks Knocked Back by Windy City Bulls in Overtime - Westchester Knicks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley Vipers Stories
- RGV Vipers Acquire Darius Morris
- RJ Hunter Leads Vipers Past Stars
- Vipers Outlast the Warriors
- RGV Vipers Stomp the Mad Ants
- Troy Williams Leads High-Energy Vipers Past the Blue