Austin Pharr Named 2018 Coastal Plain League Hitter of the Year
For the second straight season, a HiTom is Hitter of the Year.
The Coastal Plain League announced today that High Point-Thomasville outfielder Austin Pharr (Columbus State) has won the 2018 Hitter of the Year Award after finishing top five in the CPL in nearly every offensive category.
Pharr led the league slugging percentage (.742), runs batted in (49), and total bases (118). He also finished second in home runs (15) behind teammate Myles Christian, second in runs scored (43), fourth in batting average (.352) and fourth in hits (56). The rising senior's slugging percentage mark ranks second all-time in the CPL.
Last season, the CPL named HiTom first baseman Evan Edwards (NC State) as its Hitter of the Year.
Pharr also made his mark on HiTom history, breaking the team single-season home run mark previously held by Chris Swauger. Christian and Pharr now sit at the top two spots in that category. Pharr's 49 RBIs also tied him with 2007 HiToms Rich Poythress for the team single-season lead.
But Pharr was far from done at the end of regular season.
The Colmbus State product put together a remarkable postseason, helping the HiToms to a berth in the Petitt Cup Championship Series for the first time since 2008. Once there, Pharr put on a show, mashing four home runs in two games against the Morehead City Marlins, including three in game one of the series.
In total, Pharr finished his 2018 season with 19 home runs and 57 RBIs in CPL games.
He will return to Columbus State for his senior season in 2018-19 to aid in the Cougars' pursuit of a national title after making it to the Division II College World Series a season ago.
Congrats Austin, and thanks for an amazing summer!
• Discuss this story on the Coastal Plain League message board...
Coastal Plain League Stories from August 22, 2018
- Austin Pharr Named 2018 Coastal Plain League Hitter of the Year - High Point-Thomasville HiToms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent High Point-Thomasville HiToms Stories
- Jr. HiToms Release 2019 North Carolina Junior American Legion State Tournament Schedule
- Novant Health Free Clinic Postponed to Sunday, March 31 from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.
- HiToms Awarded 2019 North Carolina Junior American Legion State Tournament
- HiToms Debut Read Around the Bases Program in Eight Area Schools
- Five HiToms Named to Perfect Game Prospect Team