Atlanta United 2 Signs Vicente Reyes and Jonantan Villal
ATLANTA - Atlanta United 2 today announced the signings of two members of Atlanta United Academy's inaugural classes in goalkeeper Vicente Reyes and midfielder Jonantan Villal, pending league and federation approval.
Reyes, 18, was a member of the Academy's inaugural U-13 roster in 2016. He made six starts for Atlanta United 2 over the past two seasons. His professional debut came on Sept. 2, 2020 in a 2-1 victory against Philadelphia Union II. He's combined for 24 saves in 540 minutes of action. His career save percentage in the USL Championship stands at 64.9 percent. In the summer of 2018, Reyes earned a call up to the Chile U-17 National Team.
"Vicente has continued to progress throughout his time with our Academy and his two seasons with ATL UTD 2," Atlanta United 2 head coach Jack Collison said. "He's another great example for our club's pathway, coming into our Academy at a young age and working his way up to this level. We are excited to see him take this next step in his professional development."
Villal, 16, is from Atlanta and was a member of the Academy's inaugural U-12 roster in 2016. The midfielder, who has been with Atlanta United since he was 11 years old, made two appearances with ATL UTD 2 this past season. His professional debut came on July 10, 2021 against Sporting KC II.
"Jonantan is another player who has steadily progressed through our Academy," Atlanta United 2 head coach Jack Collison said. "He's a creative, attacking-minded midfielder and he got a taste of the professional game last season. We are looking forward to watching him grow with Atlanta United 2 in this next step of his career."
The 2022 USL Championship season begins on March 12 for Atlanta United 2 when they travel to Louisville City FC. The club's home opener is on March 16 against New York Red Bulls II at Fifth Third Bank Stadium in Kennesaw.
Name: Vicente Reyes
Birthdate: Nov. 19, 2003 (18)
Birthplace: Atlanta, Georgia
Nationality: USA, Chile
Transaction: Atlanta United 2 signs Vicente Reyes on Jan. 7, 2022
Name: Jonantan Villal
Birthdate: June 6, 2005 (16)
Birthplace: Atlanta, Georgia
Transaction: Atlanta United 2 signs Jonantan Villal on Jan. 7, 2022
2022 Atlanta United 2 roster (as of Jan. 7, 2022)
Goalkeepers (1): Vicente Reyes
Defenders (1): Aiden McFadden
Midfielders (2): Ajani Fortune, David Mejia, Robbie Mertz, Jonantan Villal
Forwards (1): Darwin Matheus
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from January 7, 2022
- Howell Joins Elite Company as Back-To-Back Hermann Trophy Winner - Louisville City FC
- San Diego Loyal Announces New Players for 2022 - San Diego Loyal
- Orange County SC Signs Defender Danilo Acosta - Orange County SC
- El Paso Locomotive Transfers Macca King to Switchbacks FC and Niall Logue to Memphis 901 FC - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Switchbacks FC Acquire Defender Macauley King - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Atlanta United 2 Signs Vicente Reyes and Jonantan Villal - Atlanta United 2
- Hartford Athletic to Play 2022 Home Opener on April 2 - Hartford Athletic
- Omega Accounting Solutions Announced as OCSC's New Back of Jersey Sponsor - Orange County SC
- What to Watch: Overseas Club Action in Full Swing to Open 2022 - Sacramento Republic FC
- 901 FC Permanently Signs Loanee Niall Logue - Memphis 901 FC
- Trio of Technical Staff Hires Support Indy Eleven's On-Field Growth - Indy Eleven
- Ricardo Campos Named SD Loyal SC President - San Diego Loyal
- Rowdies Add Defender Timmy Mehl - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Hounds Sign USL's All-Time Top Goal Scorer, Dane Kelly - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- San Antonio FC Signs Forward Elliot Collier - San Antonio FC
- FC Tulsa Agrees to Terms with Team MVP Rodrigo aa Costa for 2022 Season - FC Tulsa
- Legion FC Inks All-League Attacker Enzo Martinez - Birmingham Legion FC
- LouCity's Hulsman to Play a Part in USMNT's January Camp - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.