Atlanta United 2 Falls 1-0 at Sporting Kansas City II
KANSAS CITY, Kan. - Atlanta United 2 lost 1-0 to Sporting Kansas City II Wednesday night at Children's Mercy Park. The loss eliminated ATL UTD 2 from playoff contention.
Atlanta withstood pressure from Kansas City throughout the first half. In just his second start this season, academy goalkeeper Vicente Reyes was called into action early when in the fourth minute he denied a shot by Enoch Mushagalusa from close range. SKC II nearly took the lead when Jacob Davis had a shot from long distance smash off the crossbar and out for a goal kick in the 19th minute.
ATL UTD 2 settled into the match later in the half and produced a scoring chance in the 37th minute. Center back Josh Bauer played a long diagonal ball to Caleb Wiley on the left wing. Wiley one-timed a header to the center of the box where Darwin Matheus headed the cross on frame, but SKC's John Pulskamp collected the attempt.
The second half opened with Atlanta controlling the pace of play and keeping more of the ball. Robbie Mertz pulled a shot just wide of the left post in the 54th minute and two minutes later Amadou Macky Diop was denied by Pulskamp from close range after Abdoulaye Diop played him into the box for a one-on-one.
Reyes made a diving save in the 60th minute to keep the match scoreless. Mushagalusa was played into the box down right side and fired a shot from a tight angle to the near post, but Reyes kept a strong left hand and knocked it away for corner.
After Matías Benítez had a shot hit the side netting in the 62nd minute, SKC II took the lead in the 69th through Osvaldo Cisneros. Mushagalusa played Cisneros into the box where he was marked tightly by Noah Cobb, but he created just enough space with a move to his right to fire off a low shot towards the back post that snuck by Reyes for the 1-0 lead.
Atlanta's best chance to equalize came in the 74th minute. Bradley Kamdem Fewo put a free kick on frame that was knocked down by Pulskamp in front of goal. Phillip Goodrum and Matheus both converged on the loose ball to turn in the rebound, but Pulskamp cleared it away at the last moment.
ATL UTD 2 (7-13-11, 30 points) will return to action Saturday, Oct. 16 against Memphis 901 FC at AutoZone Park (ESPN+, 7:00 p.m. ET).
Atlanta 0, SKC 1
Children's Mercy Park
Kansas City, Kansas
Shots: 19-17 SKC
Shots on Target: 4-3 Atlanta
Corner kicks: 8-3 SKC
Fouls committed: 14-9 SKC
Offside: 3-1 SKC
Possession: 54-46 Atlanta
Passing Accuracy: 87-87
SKC - Osvaldo Cisneros (Enoch Mushagalusa) 69'
SKC - Jacob Davis (yellow) 44'
ATL - Josh Bauer (yellow) 79'
ATL - Darwin Matheus (yellow) 90+3'
ATL UTD 2 STARTING LINEUP
Vicente Reyes; Josh Bauer, Bradley Kamdem Fewo ©, Aiden McFadden, Noah Cobb (Connor Stanley - 81'); Abdoulaye Diop (Danial Sebhatu - 81'), Robbie Mertz, Matías Benítez (Ajani Fortune - 66'); Caleb Wiley (David Mejia - 45'), Amadou Macky Diop (Phillip Goodrum - 69'), Darwin Matheus.
Substitutes not used: Bryce Washington, Rocco Rios Novo.
SPORTING KANSAS CITY II STARTING LINEUP
John Pulskamp; Daniel Barbir, Kayden Pierre, Isaiah LeFlore, Graham Smith ©, Jacob Davis, Osvaldo Cisneros (Christian Duke - 87'), Petar Cuic, Grayson Barber (Zion Long - 57'), Mataeo Bunbury (Jamil Roberts - 87'), Enoch Mushagalusa (Michael Lenis - 90+3').
Substitutes not used: Remi Prieur, Alljaz Dzankic, Jayin Van Deventer.
Thomas Snyder, (referee), Art Arustamyan, (assistant), Matthew Seem, (assistant), Drew Klemp, (fourth official)
Vicente Reyes made his second start of the season
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 13, 2021
- Memphis Takes Down Louisville in Crucial Divisional Battle - Memphis 901 FC
- Legion FC Clinches Home Playoff Game Thanks to 3-1 Win over Austin Bold FC - Birmingham Legion FC
- Atlanta United 2 Falls 1-0 at Sporting Kansas City II - Atlanta United 2
- Ozzie Cisneros Scores Game-Winner as Sporting Kansas City II Earns 1-0 Victory over Atlanta United 2 in Home Finale - Sporting Kansas City II
- Loss at Memphis Drops LouCity to Second in Division - Louisville City FC
- Three Second Half Goals Push Hartford to First Comeback Win of the Season - Hartford Athletic
- Loudoun United FC Lose 3-2 to Hartford Athletic at Home - Loudoun United FC
- USL Statement: COVID-19 Test Results - October 13, 2021 - USL
- RDA Weekend Recap - October 9-10 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- MATCH Preview: Tacoma Defiance Hosts Las Vegas Lights FC Wednesday Evening at Cheney Stadium - Tacoma Defiance
- Lights FC Continues "Salute to Hospitality & Service Workers" - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Tampa Bay's Neill Collins Voted Championship's Coach of the Month - USL
- Perfect September Earns Collins Coach of the Month - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- FC Tulsa to Hold College Night at ONEOK Field on Wednesday, October 20 - FC Tulsa
- Vipers and Toros Host Inaugural Coffee Crawl - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.