Anaheim Arsenal Announce 2006 Expansion Draft Selections
ANAHEIM, CALIF., September 19, 2006 - The Anaheim Arsenal selected the rights of former University of North Carolina star, Jawad Williams with the third overall pick in the 2006 NBA Development League Expansion Draft on Tuesday.
The Arsenal, along with the Colorado 14ers, Bakersfield Jam and the Los Angeles D-Fenders, participated in the ten-round draft that allowed the new expansion franchises to select the rights of players from the list of 44 players who played in the D-League last season and are not currently on a roster.
With the third overall pick in the Expansion Draft, the Arsenal selected Williams, a 6-9 forward who was originally drafted by the San Antonio Spurs in the 2005 NBA draft before playing with the Fayetteville Patriots of the NBA D-League last season. He played his college career at the University of North Carolina and helped lead the Tar Heels to the NCAA national championship title in 2005 by averaging 13.1 points and four rebounds during his senior season.
Other first round selections included forward Elton Brown (first overall pick by Colorado), guard Andre Barrett (Bakersfield) and forward Duane Erwin (Los Angeles).
Each team that participated in the Expansion Draft will submit a preference list of its selected players to the D-League Office. Four players from that list can be signed to a league contract and have the opportunity to compete for a roster spot during the team's training camp.
The regular 2006 NBA D-League Draft is scheduled for November 2, with training camp beginning on November 12. The 2006-07 regular season gets underway Thanksgiving weekend as the Arsenal will take on the Los Angeles D-Fenders on November 24 at 6:00pm.
Local players will also have the opportunity to receive an invitation to the team's training camp by trying out on October 14 and 15 at the American Sports Centers in Anaheim.
The Arsenal will be hosting its inaugural season ticket select-a-seat event on October 1 and 2 in the Arena at the Anaheim Convention Center. For more information on this event or any other team information please contact 714-635-BALL or anaheimarsenal.com.
Following are the complete 2006 expansion draft results for the Anaheim Arsenal:
Rd Name Pos Ht College
1. Jawad Williams F 6-9 North Carolina
2. George Leach C 6-11 Indiana
3. Ryan Randle F 6-8 Maryland
4. Bryant Matthews F 6-7 Virginia Tech
5. Sung-Yoon Bang G 6-5 Yon-Sei (South Korea)
6. TJ Sorrentine G 5-11 Vermont
7. Seth Doliboa F 6-8 Wright State
8. Jason Clark G 6-2 Lynn
9. Justin Johnson G 5-11 Mississippi
10. Kevin Owens C 6-11 Monmouth
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from September 19, 2006
- Bakersfield Jam announces 2006 expansion draft results - Bakersfield Jam
- D-Fenders Announce Expansion Draft Selections - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Anaheim Arsenal Announce 2006 Expansion Draft Selections - Anaheim Arsenal
- Colorado 14ers Pick 10 Players in NBA D-League Expansion Draft - Colorado 14ers
- D-League announces expansion draft results - G League
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.