Ambassadors Right Themselves, Pound Berkshire, 10-4
The Allentown Ambassadors fell behind early once again, 4-1 after five innings, but exploded for seven runs in the top of the sixth and then cruised to a 10-4 win over the Berkshire Black Bears Saturday night in Pittsfield, Massachusetts.
Berkshire led the game 1-0 after one inning, after PJ Johnston scored on a Pete Paciorek sacrifice fly. The Ambassadors got a run in the second, but the Black Bears got the lead back with one in the fourth, and added two more in the fifth.
That set the stage for the sixth inning. The Ambassadors sent 13 men to the plate in the inning and scored seven runs on six hits off Black Bear starter Rick Guttormson. Ender Gonzalez led-off with a walk, followed by a Marlon Roche single. Vic Davilla then hit his third home run of the season to the deepest part of the park, scoring three. Ryan Bordenick then flied out, followed by two straight singles from Brian Macchi and Greg Schmidt. Julio Acosta then doubled home Macchi, followed by a two run single from Kevin Moore. After Chris Hafich flied out, Gonzalez reached on an error and then Roche walked. Relief pitcher Shane Waroff plunked Vic Davilla with the bases loaded to force home the seventh run of the inning.
The Ambassadors added two more runs in the seventh on Julio Acosta¹s first professional home run, a two run shot to left-center. The Ambassador bullpen pitched three scoreless innings to close out the game, with John Boker pitching two and Wade Clark pitching the ninth.
Davilla finished the night 2-4 with two runs scored, 4 RBI, and the home run. Greg Schmidt went 3-5 with two runs scored and an RBI. Acosta was 2-4 with two runs scored, three RBI, a walk, and his first home run.
Tim Davidson got the win, pitching six innings and giving up four earned runs. He struck out five and walked four. Guttormson picked up his third loss. With the win, the Ambassadors record is now 7-6. The Black Bears dropped to 5-11. The two teams play the final game of this four game series tomorrow afternoon. John Dillinger gets the start for the Ambassadors.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian American League message board...
Canadian American League Stories from June 7, 2003
- Ambassadors Right Themselves, Pound Berkshire, 10-4 - Allentown Ambassadors
- The Battle Rages As Allentown Counters Black Bears 10-4 - Berkshire Black Bears
- Bears Acquire Chris Peters from Camden - Newark Bears
- Bears and Ducks Rained Out Saturday - Newark Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Allentown Ambassadors Stories
- No Longer Living Here in Allentown
- Ambassadors Reorganize Front Office, Hire New Team President
- Ambassadors Add Merchandise Section to Website
- Ambassadors Attend Tamaqua High School Career Day
- Ambassadors Trade Greg Schmidt to Rox for Mike Davis, Fontella Jones