Amarillo Forces Game 5 with Win over Hounds
A strong performance from starter Jess Scholtens and a key two-run single from Peter Van Gansen helped the Amarillo Sod Poodles defeat the RockHounds, 5-1, in Game 4 of the Texas League South Division Championship Series Saturday night at Security Bank Ballpark.
With the win, Amarillo forces a fifth and deciding game, Sunday afternoon (2:00), at Rocky Town.
Scholtens retired the first 11 batters he faced and pitched 6? scoreless innings, allowing just four hits, for the win. The RockHounds threatened against the right-hander in the fifth with a leadoff walk by Tyler Ramirez and a single from Dan Gamache putting two men on base with no outs, but Scholtens got the next three batters, the last two on strikeouts, to escape.
The 'Hounds cut a 3-0 deficit to 3-1 on Chase Calabuig's RBI single in the seventh but the Sod Poodles came back to score twice in the eighth on back-to-back RBI hits from Owen Miller (double) and Luis Torrens (single) to build the advantage to 5-1.
The visiting team has won all four gams to date in the series.
The North Division Championship Series is also going to a fifth and deciding game. Arkansas defeated the Drillers, 4-1, at Tulsa Saturday to square the series. Game 5 is at 1:00 Sunday at ONEOK Field in Tulsa.
Left-hander Aaron Leasher will start Game 5 for Amarillo and the RockHounds will counter with right-hander James Naile.
Leasher spent virtually all season with Lake Elsinore of the (Advanced-A) California League before making one appearance with the Sod Poodles (seven runs on four hits and four walks in 2? innings). He was 10-7, with a 3.15 ERA and a 1.23 WHIP in 22 games with the Storm.
Naile went 8-7, with a 5.54 ERA and 1.59 WHIP in 24 games (21 starts) with the RockHounds. He also went 2-0, 4.41 in three starts with the (Triple-A) Las Vegas Aviators. James has a remarkable "pedigree" in postseason play - - he was the winning pitcher in the title-clinching games of both the 2016 and 2017 Texas League Championship Series'.
Texas League South Division Championship Series / Game 4
Sunday, September 8 vs. Amarillo Sod Poodles
Security Bank Ballpark First pitch 2:00 p.m.
Half-price hot dogs
- Best-of-5 series is tied, 2-2
- Radio: NewsTalk 550 with Bob Hards ... airtime 1:47 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from September 7, 2019
- Amarillo Forces Game 5 with Win over Hounds - Midland RockHounds
- Travs Beat Drillers to Force Game 5 Sunday Afternoon at ONEOK Field - Tulsa Drillers
- RockHounds Fall to Amarillo in Game 3 - Midland RockHounds
- Drillers Take Series Lead with Convincing Win - Arkansas Travelers
- Thomas and Solbach Lead Drillers Past Travs - Tulsa Drillers
- Lloyd Delivers Key Outing as Soddies Take Game 3 - Amarillo Sod Poodles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Midland RockHounds Stories
- Luzardo Electric in Scoreless 1st Start
- MLB Officially Announces Cancellation of 2020 Minor League Season
- Update for All USA Softball Ticket PurchasersÃÂ
- USA Softball Postpones "Stand Beside Her Tour" Due to COVID-19 Pandemic
- Update on Midland RockHounds 2020 Season