Lloyd Delivers Key Outing as Soddies Take Game 3
Midland, Texas - On a night when the Sod Poodles faced elimination from the Texas League Division Series, right-hander Kyle Lloyd delivered 7.2 brilliant innings against the Midland RockHounds to power Amarillo to a 6-2 win in Game 3 of the best-of-five series.
The RockHounds now lead the series 2-1, with Game 4 coming on Thursday night at Security Bank Ballpark.
After allowing a run in the opening frame, Lloyd settled down for his longest outing of the season. He struck out four while allowing seven hits.
After the Sod Poodles tied the game at 1-1 in the third, Hudson Potts hit an RBI double off righty Brian Howard in the fourth to give Amarillo a 2-1 lead.
With the score still at 2-1 in the seventh, Amarillo drove Howard out of the game. Peter Van Gansen drew a leadoff walk while Brad Zunica hammered an RBI double to right centerfield to plate Van Gansen.
Moments later, Buddy Reed served an RBI single to score Zunica and make it a 4-1 advantage. It was one of Reed's two hits in the game.
Howard was taken out of the game and replaced by lefty Cody Stull, who gave up an RBI single to Taylor Trammell as Amarillo took a 5-1 lead. Trammell collected a game-high three hits.
In the bottom half of the seventh, the RockHounds loaded the bases against Lloyd with nobody out on three straight hits. Lloyd bounced back to retire the next two hittesr before walking Chase Calabuig to bring in a run. Lloyd then proceeded to induce a ground out to end the frame and keep Amarillo ahead, 5-2.
In the top of the eighth, Luis Torrens collected his first hit of the series with a solo homer to right field against Stull. The blast made it a 6-2 ballgame.
Lloyd secured the first two outs of the eighth before giving way to righty Elliot Ashbeck, who proceeded to exit the eighth with no runs allowed.
Ashbeck then tossed a scoreless ninth inning to secure Amarillo's 6-2 win.
The Sod Poodles and RockHounds play Game 4 of the series on Saturday night in Midland. First pitch is at 7:00 p.m.
Amarillo sends righty Jesse Scholtens to the mound while Midland counters with right-hander Mitchell Jordan.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from September 7, 2019
- Amarillo Forces Game 5 with Win over Hounds - Midland RockHounds
- Travs Beat Drillers to Force Game 5 Sunday Afternoon at ONEOK Field - Tulsa Drillers
- RockHounds Fall to Amarillo in Game 3 - Midland RockHounds
- Drillers Take Series Lead with Convincing Win - Arkansas Travelers
- Thomas and Solbach Lead Drillers Past Travs - Tulsa Drillers
- Lloyd Delivers Key Outing as Soddies Take Game 3 - Amarillo Sod Poodles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Amarillo Sod Poodles Stories
- The Salvation Army collaborates with other organizations for Thanksgiving
- Flatland Cavalry Concert at Hodgetown this Friday
- Soddies Saturday Spooktacular to Bring Halloween to Downtown Amarillo
- Flatland Cavalry to Ride into Hodgetown, Concert Announced for October 23
- Hodgetown Honky-Tonk Concert Scheduled for October 3 Featuring Cooder Graw