Alaska One Win Shy of Kelly Cup Finals
LAS VEGAS - Josh Soares scored the game-winning goal with 4:11 remaining after a beautiful move and pass from Cam Keith as Alaska moved one step closer to the Kelly Cup Finals with a 3-1 victory over Las Vegas at Orleans Arena.
The Aces enjoy a 3-0 series lead in the National Conference Finals and, after a practice day tomorrow, can close out the Wranglers in Game Four Thursday at 6:30 p.m. AT. Game Five, if necessary will be played at the Orleans Arena Friday night at 6:30. The games will be simulcast live on KFQD 750 AM and GCI Channel 1, with coverage getting underway at 6:15 p.m. AT.
The crowd of 3,612 saw Las Vegas take its first lead of the series late in the first period when, immediately after a failed Alaska power play, Mike Hamilton fed an open Tyler Mosienko between the circles, leading to a wrist shot that beat Aces starter J.P. Lamoureux blocker side. Vladimir Novak tied the game less than three minutes into the second period by smacking a loose puck just outside the crease out of mid-air and past Wranglers netminder Glenn Fisher. Both clubs failed to convert five-on-three power play opportunities later in the period, and after a combined 33 shots in the frame, headed to the final stanza deadlocked at 1-1.
Alaska out-shot Las Vegas 13-7 over the final 20 minutes, with the winner coming after Keith toe-dragged his way past Wranglers defenseman Dan Spang and fed Soares coming down the slot. Soares whipped a wrist shot underneath Fisher's pads, and Lamoureux held sway for the remainder of the game, finishing with 33 saves in running his, and the Aces, playoff record to 11-2. Novak scored his second goal of the game, an empty-netter with 36 seconds left, to seal Alaska's 12th win in its last 17 road games, dating back to the regular season. The Aces have out-scored their opposition 24-6 during the third period in the playoffs.
National Conference Finals (All times AT)
Alaska leads best-of-7, 3-0
Game 1 - Alaska 2, Las Vegas 0
Game 2 - Alaska 4, Las Vegas 1
Game 3 - Alaska 3, Las Vegas 1
Game 4 - Thursday, 6:30 p.m. Alaska at Las Vegas
Game 5 - Friday, 6:30 p.m. Alaska at Las Vegas (If Necessary)
Game 6 - Tuesday, May 19, 7:15 p.m., Las Vegas at Alaska (If Necessary)
Game 7 - Wednesday, May 20, 7:15 p.m., Las Vegas at Alaska (If Necessary)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from May 13, 2009
- Stingrays Hold on For 4-3 Win; Push Cyclones to Limit - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Rally Comes Up Short, 4-3 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Sacramento Native Manase Hopoi Returns In Trade - Stockton Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Nottingham promoted to Season-Ticket Relations Coordinator - Idaho Steelheads
- 2008-09 Brings Largest Fan Base, Deepest Playoff Run - Stockton Thunder
- Chiefs Team With Planet Ice For Summer Camps And Clinics - Johnstown Chiefs
- Wranglers Kelly Cup Daily - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Bombers Support Festival of Caring - Dayton Bombers
- Over $550,000 Raised in Charity for 2008-09 - Stockton Thunder
- Kelly Cup Quest Daily - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Alaska One Win Shy of Kelly Cup Finals - Alaska Aces
- Aces Top Wranglers 3-1, Lead Series 3-0 - Las Vegas Wranglers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.