Aces Get Two-Game Sweep
Alexandria, La. - July 13, 2008 - The Alexandria Aces used late-inning magic to beat the Harlingen WhiteWings 4-3 Sunday at Harlingen Field.
Alexandria pushed across the go-ahead run in the top of the eighth. Tied 3-3, Bryan Sabatella reached base to lead off the inning when he struck out and got to first on a passed ball. A stolen base, and a wild pitch put Sabatella on third. Selwyn Langaigne brought home Sabatella with a single to center to give the Aces a 4-3 lead. Juan Carlos Ovalles and Wayne Hedden pitched a scoreless eighth and ninth to give the Aces the win.
The Aces got on the board first in the top of the third. Recently named All-Star Palmer Karr Jr. proved he deserved to be in San Angelo this week as he hit a three-run homer to left. Karr's homer, his 13th of the year, gave the Aces a 3-0 lead. Trailing 3-1, Harlingen tied the game at three apiece with a two-run homer by Joel Gonzalez. Chad Linder put together a quality start pitching six innings and giving up three runs while striking out two and not walking a batter. Reliever Angel Guzman got the win pitching a perfect seventh. Guzman returned for his third stint as an Ace this year.
The Aces are off for the next three days for the All-Star Game. The Aces will be represented by six All-Stars, Luis Guance, Rafael Ozuna, Chad Linder, Ovalles, Sabatella and Karr, and manager Ricky VanAsselberg. Thursday, the Aces travel to Laredo to take on the Broncos for a four-game series. Game time is 7:30.
Next home game: Monday, July 21st vs. Edinburg. Ladies Night. Two-for-one admission.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from July 13, 2008
- Broncos Lose 6-5 on Controversial Play in 12th Inning in Edinburg - Laredo Broncos
- Colts Win Fifth In A Row For First Time This Season - San Angelo Colts
- Aces Get Two-Game Sweep - Alexandria Aces
- Aces Beat WhiteWings in Pitching Duel - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- GBL vs. ULB All-Star Game to be Broadcast Globally - ULB
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Alexandria Aces Stories
- Aces Announce Kisatchie National Forest/Smokey the Bear Aces Team Photo Night
- Aces Announce City of Pineville's Free Admission "Pack the Park"
- Aces Game Tonight Canceled
- Aces Announce Louisiana Lottery Shirt-Off-Our-Back Night Tomorrow
- Free Aces General Admission Tickets Tuesday, July 24th