2014 CFL Schedule Features Redblacks' Debut, Labour Day Rivalries and Stadium Openings
February 12, 2014 - Canadian Football League (CFL) News Release
TORONTO - Steeped in tradition but built for the future, the Canadian Football League released today a 2014 schedule that celebrates historic rivalries and features the debut of a brand new team and beautiful new stadiums.
"This is a big year for us, the start of a new era for our league," said Mark Cohon, Commissioner of the Canadian Football League.
"This schedule captures that excitement. It features the launch of the new Ottawa REDBLACKS and the opening of TD Place in the national capital and Tim Hortons Field in Hamilton, alongside some of our most cherished traditions and rivalries, including classic Labour Day matchups and the Grey Cup."
The 2014 CFL Schedule:
- Kicks off Thursday, June 26 when the Toronto Argonauts visit Winnipeg to face the Blue Bombers on an opening weekend that includes a rematch of the 101st Grey Cup on Sunday, June 29 when the Saskatchewan Roughriders host the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.
- Features the inaugural season of the Ottawa REDBLACKS, including their very first regular season game on Thursday, July 3 in Winnipeg and their home debut and opening of brand new TD Place on Friday, July 18 when they host the Toronto Argonauts.
- Will see the REDBLACKS play their 'home' pre-season game at Mosaic Stadium in Regina against the defending Grey Cup champion Roughriders.
- Will see the opening of new Tim Hortons Field in Hamilton on Saturday, July 26 when the Tiger-Cats host the REDBLACKS.
- Includes classic match ups on Labour Day weekend, with the REDBLACKS visiting Montreal on Friday, August 29, Saskatchewan hosting the Bombers on Sunday, August 31, and the Argos visiting Hamilton to play the Tiger-Cats, and the Edmonton Eskimos visiting Calgary and the Stampeders, on Monday, September 1.
- Should lead to an exciting stretch run, with all teams playing teams in their own division the final four weeks of the season.
- Concludes with the 102nd Grey Cup game at BC Place in Vancouver on Sunday, November 30.
The CFL pre-season schedule kicks off Monday, June 9 and concludes Friday, June 20.
Season tickets are on sale for all nine CFL teams now. Single game tickets go on sale on Saturday, May 31.
All Canadian Football League games are broadcast on TSN, Canada's sports leader. All Montreal Alouettes games and other select CFL games are broadcast on RDS and RDS2.
"There is so much to look forward to this season," Cohon said. "And with our CFL Combine coming up in March, the CFL Canadian Draft in May, and full training camps scheduled to open in June, the excitement is building already."
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from February 12, 2014
- Alouettes Ink Diamond Ferri - Montreal Alouettes
- Esks Sign Free Agent WR Akeem Foster - Edmonton Eskimos
- Redblacks Add Two Defenders - Ottawa RedBlacks
- Argos Sign Pair of Linemen - Re-Sign Wayne Smith, Add 2013 Draft Pick Matt Sewell - Toronto Argonauts
- Parker Remains with Red and White - Calgary Stampeders
- Alouettes to kick off 2014 CFL regular season on June 28 at Calgary - Montreal Alouettes
- Riders Sign David Lee - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Argos Re-Sign Free Agent K-P Swayze Waters - Toronto Argonauts
- The Roar on the Shore - 102nd Grey Cup Festival Brand Launched - B.C. Lions
- Stamps Sign Free-Agent DB Joshua Bell - Calgary Stampeders
- Tiger-Cats 2014 Schedule Released - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- History in the Making: Redblacks Schedule Announced - Ottawa RedBlacks
- Esks Announce 2014 Schedule - Edmonton Eskimos
- 2014 CFL Schedule Features Redblacks' Debut, Labour Day Rivalries and Stadium Openings - CFL
- Toronto Argonauts Announce 2014 Schedule - Toronto Argonauts
- Lions Set to Roar in 2014 as Schedule Released - B.C. Lions
- CFL Releases 2014 Schedule - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Stampeders Announce 2014 Schedule - Calgary Stampeders
- Blue Bombers Unveil 2014 Schedule - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Tiger-Cats to Hold Pre-Season Game & Training Camp at McMaster - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Free Agent Receiver Cary Koch Joins Tiger-Cats - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Esks Sign Free Agent DB Patrick Watkins - Edmonton Eskimos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.