Sporting KC Welcomes Houston Dynamo to Sporting Park on SundayMay 24, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Sporting Kansas City Press Release
A limited numb er of tickets are still available for the match online at Ticketmaster.com or at the Sporting Park Box Offices. All fans will receive a Sporting KC scarf, courtesy of Sprint, upon their entrance to Sporting Park.
The rivalry between Houston and Sporting KC has reached new heights over the last two seasons with the Dynamo eliminating Sporting Kansas City in their MLS Cup playoff run for two consecutive years. However, Sporting KC has defeated the Dynamo the last two times these clubs have met.
Seth Sinovic notched his first career MLS goal against the Dynamo in the second leg of the Eastern Conference semifinals in 2012. Sinovic's goal was assisted by Kei Kamara and Graham Zusi, who led the League in assists at the conclusion of the 2012 season with a career-high 15.
The U.S. Men's National Team winger currently leads the League in assists for the 2013 season with five, being credited with an assist on Ike Opara's goal against D.C. United last Sunday as part of an MLS scoring change made today. Houston's Brad Davis trails closely behind Zusi with three assists. The pair of midfielders were selected for the U.S. Men's National Team roster ahead of two international friendlies and three FIFA World Cup Qualifiers.
Sporting Kansas City centerback Matt Besler, Dynamo defender Corey Ashe and Houston goalkeeper Tally Hall will also join the U.S. MNT in Cleveland following Sunday's game. On Sunday, Houston will be without central defender Bobby Boswell (suspension) while Sporting KC forward Soony Saad is currently on international duty with Lebanon.
Sporting Kansas City's Sinovic was also influential in Sporting Kansas City's 1-0 defeat of the Dynamo in Houston two Sunday's ago, notching the assist on Aurelien Collin's game-winning goal. Sporting KC then traveled to D.C. United last weekend for a 1-1 road result.
The Dynamo most recently dropped a 2-0 decision against the New England Revolution, marking two straight MLS losses. The losing streak is the first for Houston since May 9, 2012.
The last time the Dynamo were shut out in back-to-back MLS matches was on September 10, 2011 when Sporting Kansas City defeated Houston 3-0 at Sporting Park after the Vancouver Whitecaps overpowered the Dynamo 1-0 at Empire Field.
Sporting Kansas City is 4-6-6 all-time during the MLS regular season against Houston and looks to level their home record in the series, which currently sits at 2-3-3. Sporting Kansas City is currently one point ahead of Houston and in second place in the Eastern conference.
All fans are encouraged to arrive early on Sunday with parking lots opening three hours prior to kickoff. The parking plan for Sunday's match is adjusted from previous Sporting KC home matches this year; a parking map and directions are available at SportingKC.com/parking.
Following the match, Jimmy Nielsen -- the MLS leader in shutouts this season with seven -- will host an event in the Shield Club for his new book, Welcome to the Blue Heaven: Don't Bet Against the Goalkeeper. Books will be available to purchase and Nielsen will sign one copy per person.
The Final Whistle: Sporting KC Postgame Show will air live on Sports Radio 810 WHB from the Boulevard Members Club, which is open to all ticket holders following the match. Fans are encouraged to call 913-3-810-810 to join the discussion.
Sporting Kansas City supporters can follow the match online via @SKCGameday on Twitter and the SportingKC.com/GameOn page or on mobile devices with the MLS MatchDay app.
Major League Soccer Stories from May 24, 2013
- LA Galaxy Technical Director Jovan Kirovski still remembers Champions League title run with Borussia - Los Angeles Galaxy
- LA Galaxy to Announce Player Acquisition on Saturday - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sporting KC Welcomes Houston Dynamo to Sporting Park on Sunday - Sporting Kansas City
- LA Galaxy Not Panicking as They Prepare to Face Red-Hot Seattle - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Arrieta Earns International Call Up - Columbus Crew SC
- Black & Gold by the Numbers: May 24 - Columbus Crew SC
- Crew Set to Take On Red Bulls - Columbus Crew SC
- D.C. United's Neal to Miss 6-8 weeks Following Surgery - D.C. United
- Red Bulls Players Called Up to National Teams - New York Red Bulls
- Revolution Hold Youth Tryouts - New England Revolution
- Revolution Preview Matchup Against Toronto - New England Revolution
- Midfielder Bostock Placed On Waivers - Toronto FC
- Real Salt Lake vs. Fire - Game Preview - Real Salt Lake
- Nyassi Called Up to Gambian National Team - Montreal Impact
- Earthquakes Unveil New Features for Team's Stadium - San Jose Earthquakes
- Crew Adds Jonathan "T-Bone" Smith to ESPN 1460's Inside the Crew - Columbus Crew SC
- Wynalda Set to Serve as Assistant for Real Salt Lake Game - Real Salt Lake
- Koevermans Set to Return For Toronto FC - Toronto FC
- Impact to Host Union Saturday, May 25 - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.