Wynalda Set to Serve as Assistant for Real Salt Lake Game
Atlanta, Ga. - Less than 24 hours after he returns from covering the UEFA Champions League Final in London, Silverbacks Technical Director Eric Wynalda will be hopping on a plane to Salt Lake City to meet the team ahead of their clash with Major League Soccer side Real Salt Lake.
Wynalda, who is currently in London covering the game for FOX Soccer, will join Silverbacks Head Coach Brian Haynes on the bench for the team's third-round U.S. Open Cup game, replacing Silverbacks Assistant Coach Franklin McIntosh. McIntosh will miss the game due to disciplinary action, and Silverbacks Goalkeepers Coach Jose "Gaucho" Pinho won't be available for the game due to prior commitments.
The U.S. Soccer legend's place on the bench as an assistant coach represents a bit of a role-reversal for him and Haynes. Wynalda was brought in last July as the club's interim head coach, and after initially turning the team around on his own, he selected Haynes as his first assistant coach. After the duo continued to improve the team following their poor start to the 2012 season, Wynalda recommended Haynes as the man to replace him. As the head coach, Haynes would then go on to lead the Silverbacks to an undefeated September, ending the 2012 season as the NASL's hottest team.
With Haynes at the helm and the team gunning for first place in the league standings this weekend, Wynalda believes that things couldn't have worked out any better.
"Brian and I have always been a team, and we've never thought one of us was more important than the other," Wynalda said. "The team is playing well and he's doing an outstanding job, so I don't think we should change what we're doing. It's my honor and pleasure to coach with him on Tuesday, and I'm going to do my best to stay out of his way.
Although his normal duties as the Silverbacks' technical director don't call for it, coaching is always something Wynalda enjoys doing. He looks forward to being on the bench on Tuesday, and hopes the Silverbacks can get the same result his Cal FC team got against MLS competition in the third round of the Cup last year.
"It's going to conjure up some emotions for me and some of the players that went on that great run last year," Wynalda said. "The Cup is a competition that is very near and dear to my heart, and I'm 100% sure that our guys, especially the former Cal FC players, will take on this game with the utmost desire. Our team is not going to enter the game with a defensive mindset, but we also know that we're going up against a great team that is never afraid to impose their will on opponents."
While Wynalda is busy with the Champions League festivities overseas, the Silverbacks will host the San Antonio Scorpions on Saturday night at 7:30 p.m. at Atlanta Silverbacks Park. The Silverbacks, who are just one point out of first place, will be looking to win their third straight game across all competitions. To purchase tickets, call 404-969-4900 or visit atlantasilverbacksfc.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 24, 2013
- LA Galaxy Technical Director Jovan Kirovski still remembers Champions League title run with Borussia - Los Angeles Galaxy
- LA Galaxy to Announce Player Acquisition on Saturday - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sporting KC Welcomes Houston Dynamo to Sporting Park on Sunday - Sporting Kansas City
- LA Galaxy Not Panicking as They Prepare to Face Red-Hot Seattle - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Arrieta Earns International Call Up - Columbus Crew SC
- Black & Gold by the Numbers: May 24 - Columbus Crew SC
- Crew Set to Take On Red Bulls - Columbus Crew SC
- D.C. United's Neal to Miss 6-8 weeks Following Surgery - D.C. United
- Red Bulls Players Called Up to National Teams - New York Red Bulls
- Revolution Hold Youth Tryouts - New England Revolution
- Revolution Preview Matchup Against Toronto - New England Revolution
- Midfielder Bostock Placed On Waivers - Toronto FC
- Real Salt Lake vs. Fire - Game Preview - Real Salt Lake
- Nyassi Called Up to Gambian National Team - Montreal Impact
- Earthquakes Unveil New Features for Team's Stadium - San Jose Earthquakes
- Crew Adds Jonathan "T-Bone" Smith to ESPN 1460's Inside the Crew - Columbus Crew SC
- Wynalda Set to Serve as Assistant for Real Salt Lake Game - Real Salt Lake
- Koevermans Set to Return For Toronto FC - Toronto FC
- Impact to Host Union Saturday, May 25 - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Real Salt Lake Tops New York Red Bulls for Season's First Victory
- Real Salt Lake Honors Chris Wingert for 10 Season with the Club
- Real Salt Lake Academy Standouts Richard Ledezma, Diran Bebekian Called to National Team Camps
- Real Salt Lake Continues 2018 MLS Campaign Saturday Evening v. New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake MF Albert Rusnak Called in to Slovakian National Team