Nyassi Called Up to Gambian National Team
MONTREAL - The Montreal Impact announced on Friday that midfielder Sanna Nyassi has been selected by the Gambian men's national team for a pair of World Cup qualifying matches in June.
As a result, Nyassi will be away from the Impact from June 3-17, with games against Ivory Coast on June 8 in Bakau, Gambia, and then on the road versus Morocco in Marrakesh on June 15.
Therefore, Nyassi would miss the Impact's game versus the Crew in Columbus on June 15.
Nyassi, who's played in eight games this season in MLS, was most recently capped by his country on March 23, having played the full 90 minutes in a 3-0 loss to Ivory Coast.
Gambia currently sits in fourth spot in its group with one point from three games. Despite being at the bottom of the table, Gambia still has a mathematical chance of qualifying if it can pull out wins in its last three games, with the final matchup against Tanzania set for September.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 24, 2013
- LA Galaxy Technical Director Jovan Kirovski still remembers Champions League title run with Borussia - Los Angeles Galaxy
- LA Galaxy to Announce Player Acquisition on Saturday - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sporting KC Welcomes Houston Dynamo to Sporting Park on Sunday - Sporting Kansas City
- LA Galaxy Not Panicking as They Prepare to Face Red-Hot Seattle - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Arrieta Earns International Call Up - Columbus Crew SC
- Black & Gold by the Numbers: May 24 - Columbus Crew SC
- Crew Set to Take On Red Bulls - Columbus Crew SC
- D.C. United's Neal to Miss 6-8 weeks Following Surgery - D.C. United
- Red Bulls Players Called Up to National Teams - New York Red Bulls
- Revolution Hold Youth Tryouts - New England Revolution
- Revolution Preview Matchup Against Toronto - New England Revolution
- Midfielder Bostock Placed On Waivers - Toronto FC
- Real Salt Lake vs. Fire - Game Preview - Real Salt Lake
- Nyassi Called Up to Gambian National Team - Montreal Impact
- Earthquakes Unveil New Features for Team's Stadium - San Jose Earthquakes
- Crew Adds Jonathan "T-Bone" Smith to ESPN 1460's Inside the Crew - Columbus Crew SC
- Wynalda Set to Serve as Assistant for Real Salt Lake Game - Real Salt Lake
- Koevermans Set to Return For Toronto FC - Toronto FC
- Impact to Host Union Saturday, May 25 - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.