Sounders FC Continue Hot Play by Toppling Dallas 4-2May 19, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Seattle Sounders FC Press Release
Seattle has now scored four goals in back-to-back games for the first time in club history, and the eight-goal output over a two-game span matches the franchise record.
Sounders FC scored in the 16th minute when Osvaldo Alonso headed a goal kick to Johnson behind the Dallas defense. Johnson held off two defenders and slotted a right-footed shot inside the far post.
Seattle doubled its lead in the 31st minute when Brad Evans played a through-ball between the defense to a streaking Neagle, who dribbled around the keeper and slotted it into the back of the empty net. It was the third goal of the season for Neagle-all in the last two games.
Seattle's 2-0 lead marked the first time this season that Dallas trailed at halftime. However, the Western Conference leaders responded with two set-piece goals early in the second half to level the match.
In the 54th minute, Michel took a free kick outside the top right corner of the box that found Kenny Cooper for a flick header inside the far post. The goal ended a 272-minute shutout streak for Michael Gspurning, the fifth-longest in MLS this season.
Michel tied the game at 2-2 in the 61st minute when he bent a corner kick over the defense and into the far top corner of the net, just out of the reach of Gspurning.
Sounders FC responded just a minute later when Neagle slipped Johnson into the box, and the striker juked Raul Fernandez to created space, and pounded his shot into the top of the net. It marked the ninth-career multi-goal game for Johnson, and his first since September 8, 2012, against Chivas USA.
Johnson leads the team with four league goals and five goals across all competitions. With 59 career MLS goals, he is now 24th on the all-time list.
Seattle made it 4-2 in the 83rd minute following a Fernandez save on a powerful Johnson header. The rebound rolled to Evans, who found Obafemi Martins in the box who slipped it into the net for his third goal of the season.
It marked the first assist of the season for both Alonso and Evans, who have 12 and 18 in their careers, respectively. With two assists in the match, it was the first time in Evans' career that he recorded multiple assists in one game.
Sounders FC is unbeaten in its last 36 matches (29-0-8) when scoring first, the longest active streak in MLS. Seattle has outscored their opponents 12-4 in the last five games.
Midfielder Servando Carrasco was included in the starting lineup for the fourth straight game, the longest streak of consecutive starts in his career.
Sounders FC was forced to use two of their subs on injuries. First, Osvaldo Alonso suffered a left groin injury and was replaced by Shalrie Joseph 31st minute, then Leo Gonzalez was bloodied by a Blas Perez elbow to the face and was replaced by Zach Scott in the 78th minute. Perez was issued a red card on the play.
Seattle's 11 shots on goal set the club single-game record, breaking the previous high of 10 on June 16, 2009, against D.C. United.
Sounders FC returns to action next Sunday, May 26, with a road matchup with the LA Galaxy. Kickoff is at 8 p.m. PT at the Home Depot Center.
Major League Soccer Stories from May 19, 2013
- Steven Purdy Called up by El Salvador's National Team - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sporting KC Draws D.C. United 1-1 at RFK Stadium - Sporting Kansas City
- Galaxy Fall to Red Bulls on Another Late Goal - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Timbers Reserves Earn 1-1 Draw at Whitecaps FC Reserves - Portland Timbers
- Last Gasp Cahill Goal Gives First Place Red Bulls 1-0 Win over LA Galaxy - New York Red Bulls
- Reserve League: San Jose Earthquakes Top Colorado Rapids 3-0 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo Reserves Fall to Charleston Battery, 1-0 - Houston Dynamo
- Gehrig Steps up for Injured Marshall - Columbus Crew SC
- Final: Revs 2, Dynamo 0 - New England Revolution
- High-Pressure Game Plan Works Wonders as Revolution Stuns Dynamo - New England Revolution
- Rapids Take 1-1 Draw in San Jose with Sturgis on Target - Colorado Rapids
- Sounders FC Continue Hot Play by Toppling Dallas 4-2 - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.