Preview: Crew at Toronto FCMay 17, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Columbus Crew SC
Heading into a rivalry match against Toronto FC, the Black & Gold are sure they can turn things around on the road this weekend.
"Critical moments have been a key factor [in the past two losses]," Goalkeeper Andy Gruenebaum explained. "We have been so close to getting results, especially at home. It's just one letdown, or against Colorado when they had two shots on goal and unfortunately both of them went in. I'd rather get peppered and win 1-0. It's good that we're limiting shots, we just have to be better in critical moments whether it's defensively or in front of net on their side. We have to get the final pass or the final save."
The Crew 'keeper continued: "We still have confidence. We're going to come in with that confidence and show it on the field. Confidence has never been a problem."
Perhaps luck just hasn't been on the Crew's side in the past two games. Gruenebaum's save of the Red Bulls' Jonny Steele led to Tim Cahill's rebounded winner on May 4, while an unfortunate deflection off Josh Williams led to Rapids' Dillon Powers insurance tally last week.
The team has worked on fixing those costly errors this week in training.
"A couple times we've been unlucky, a couple times guys weren't in the right spots," Williams said. "We've got to step up and realize that people weren't in the right spots. We need to be accountable. In practice this week, we've worked on eliminating those mistakes."
WILLIAMS COMFORTABLE IN ANY ROLE
With Chad Marshall out due to a hamstring strain, it's likely that Josh Williams could from the right side of the defense to centerback. In that scenario, either Eric Gehrig, Chad Barson or Drew Beckie could play on the right.
"Obviously, you can't replace a guy like Chad," Williams said. "He's the best defender in the League, I've said that since I've been here. But whether it's Eric or Chad [Barson] that comes in, they can get the job done."
A backline of Williams, Marshall, GlÃÂ¡uber and Tyson Wahl have spent all but a few minutes together in front of Andy Gruenebaum in net thoughout the Black & Gold's first 10 matches of the season. With change coming, Gruenebaum does not anticipate a lack of chemistry against Toronto FC.
Various injuries to Crew backline last season has prepared the 'keeper for such occasions.
"Obviously, last year we dealt with [various injuries in the backline]," Gruenebaum said. "Now we're going to have to do the same thing. We have the depth to fill-in at any position, so we're going to do that. Whoever is on the field has to take responsibility and we'll get the job done as a team if everyone does his individual job.
"Whoever is on the field will do their job and hopefully we'll come away with a good result."
Major League Soccer Stories from May 17, 2013
- LA Galaxy Have Their Sights Set on Stopping New York Red Bulls Henry - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chivas USA Daily News - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Red Bulls Host LA Galaxy Sunday at Red Bull Arena at 1:00 pm - New York Red Bulls
- Sporting KC Back on Road at D.C. United on Sunday - Sporting Kansas City
- Houston Dynamo Host New England Revolution on Saturday Night at BBVA Compass Stadium - Houston Dynamo
- Seahawks and Sounders FC License Plates Available in January 2014 - Seattle Sounders FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Suspends Jairo Arrieta - Columbus Crew SC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Suspends Columbus Forward Jairo Arrieta - MLS
- D.C. United Showcase to Take Place in Roanoke, Va., on June 16 - D.C. United
- Revolution Heads to Texas to Battle the Houston Dynamo - New England Revolution
- Newtown Parent Connection, Inc. (NPC) Announces Soccer Revolution Fundraiser - New England Revolution
- Black & Gold by the Numbers: May 17 - Columbus Crew SC
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew vs. Toronto FC - Columbus Crew SC
- Advisory: Chicago Fire Goalkeeper Sean Johnson to Throw out First Pitch at White Sox Game - Chicago Fire
- Kei Kamara and Soony Saad Selected for Upcoming International Matches - Sporting Kansas City
- RSL to Close Three-Game Road Trip Sunday at Chivas USA - Real Salt Lake
- Real Salt Lake DF Rich Balchan to Miss 4-6 Months After Successful Shoulder Surgery - Real Salt Lake
- Preview: Crew at Toronto FC - Columbus Crew SC
- Injuries Force Warzycha to Juggle Lineup - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.