Kernels Power Past South Bend 12-4May 6, 2013 - Midwest League (MWL) - Cedar Rapids Kernels Press Release
The Kernels duo of Matthew Tomshaw and Manuel Soliman went the distance on the hill. Tomshaw (2-0) started and went 5 innings while allowing 4 runs on 10 hits. He struck out 1 and walked 1. Soliman went four hitless innings for his first save, allowing 0 runs while striking out 4 and walking 3. Soliman retired the first eight hitters that he faced, and Tomshaw sent down the final four men that he faced.
For the second-straight game the Kernels pushed across four runs in the 1st inning to take a 4-0 lead before the Silver Hawks came to bat. Adam Brett Walker's RBI single brought Jorge Polanco home and put the Kernels on the board. Travis Harrison then followed with a 3-run home run to left, scoring Dalton Hicks and Walker. It was Harrison's fifth homer on the season and second in two days.
South Bend tied the game over the next two innings. Ryan Court's RBI single in the 1st inning made the score 4-1. In the 2nd inning Fidel Pena's 2-run home run, and a RBI double by Court tied the game 4-4.
Adam Brett Walker's grand slam in the 5th inning put the Kernels up 8-4. It was Walker's seventh long ball and second grand slam of the season. Candido Pimentel, Jorge Polanco, and Dalton Hicks had singled to start the inning and load the bases.
The Kernels added four insurance runs in the 9th inning to propel ahead 12-4. Jorge Polanco doubled home Byron Buxton. Dalton Hicks added a RBI single to score Candido Pimentel while Polanco scored on a wild pitch. Tyler Grimes capped off the scoring with a RBI double to bring Hicks home.
Jesse Darrah (2-2) took the loss for South Bend, going 4 innings and allowing 7 runs.
The Kernels have an off day Tuesday before opening up a 3-game series at Quad Cities on Wednesday.
Wednesday, May 8 (7:00 p.m.) @Quad Cities River Bandits (Houston Astros) (Modern Woodmen Park)
Cedar Rapids: LHP Brett Lee (2-1, 2.89) vs. Quad Cities: TBA
Radio: KMRY 1450 AM/93.1 FM & www.kernels.com
Next Home Game: Tuesday, May 14 (6:35 p.m.) vs. Burlington Bees (Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim)
Promotions: Great Clips Twins Tuesday! Get online coupon from the Kernels Facebook page or email newsletter for a 2-for-1 ticket offer! The Kernels will wear replica Twins jerseys, and fans can register to win a pair of Twins tickets!
Tickets: Available at www.kernels.com or at the Kernels Ticket Office at Veterans Memorial Stadium, 319-896-7650 (Monday-Friday 10-5, Saturday 10-2)
Midwest League Stories from May 6, 2013
- Kernels Power Past South Bend 12-4 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Bring Out Brooms Against TinCaps - Peoria Chiefs
- Whitecaps Drop Homestand Finale - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Four-Run Fifth Holds up in 6-4 Victory - Beloit Snappers
- Cain, Backed by Bats, Helps Bandits Take Finale - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Fall at Peoria, Lose Third Straight - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Snappers trip up Lugnuts, 6-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- LumberKings Stymied by Ames in Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Henry Named Midwest League Player of the Week - Clinton LumberKings
- Ames Cruises in Career Outing, Hot Rods Win Series - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons 14-Hit Attack Keys Win over Kane County, 11-8 - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars Win Streak Ends at 6 - Kane County Cougars
- Tyrell Jenkins Named MWL Pitcher of the Week - Peoria Chiefs
- Bees Fall Short in 1-0 Loss - Burlington Bees
- Loons Lose Pitching Duel - Great Lakes Loons
- Wisconsin edges Loons 3-1 to earn sweep - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Alex Muren joins Kernels from Extended Spring Training - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hot Rods Homestand Notes May 8 - May 10 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.