Harper, Russell disabled; Carrithers, Woolley to MississippiApril 22, 2013 - Southern League (SL) - Mississippi Braves
Carrithers, 28, started the season with the M-Braves and had played in two of the M-Braves first three games (0-4) before moving up to Triple-A Gwinnett on April 7. With the Gwinnett Braves, Carrithers was hitting .320 with one double and a triple in nine games. The California native spent the entire 2012 season with Double-A Mississippi, posting a .315 batting average.
Harper, 24, has posted a record of 1-0 with three saves and no ERA in five outings for the M-Braves. Harper picked up his first win of the season on April 20 at Mobile. He also drove in two runs with a double in the top of the ninth to lead the M-Braves to an 8-5 victory. The Clarksville, TN, native was originally drafted by the Braves in the 37th round of the 2011 draft out of Austin Peay.
Russell, 26, was signed by the Atlanta Braves as a free agent during Spring Training. He was hitting .292 including two doubles and a homer in 14 games with the M-Braves. Russell was originally selected by the Los Angeles Dodgers in the third round of the 2008 draft out of the University of Texas. He spent time with Double-A Chattanooga during the past three seasons.
In five outings with High-A Lynchburg, Woolley has yet to allow a run. The 25-year-old right-handed pitcher has given up two unearned runs on four hits and four walks while striking out nine batters in six and two-thirds innings.
Woolley was originally drafted by the Braves in the sixth round of the 2009 draft and by the Rangers in the 39th round of the 2010 draft but did not sign with either team. He was drafted again in the 13th round of the 2011 draft by Detroit and spent two seasons in the Tigers farm system. After his Spring Training release, Woolley signed with the Braves in late March.
The Mississippi roster has 25 active players and 6 disabled.
Southern League Stories from April 22, 2013
- M-Braves Win Seventh Straight, Down BayBears 1-0 - Mississippi Braves
- Five-Run Sixth Boosts Smokies to 8-3 Win over Montgomery - Tennessee Smokies
- Smith, Wahoos Shut out Generals 3-0 - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Generals Blanked By Pensacola On Monday - Jackson Generals
- Suns' Offense Stalls in 5-1 Loss - Jacksonville Suns
- Harper, Russell disabled; Carrithers, Woolley to Mississippi - Mississippi Braves
- Johnson K's 10 in 3-1 Win over Huntsville - Birmingham Barons
- Stars Silenced By Barons - Huntsville Stars
- Pederson Wins SL Hitter of the Week - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Cubs' Matt Garza Scheduled to Rehab at Smokies Park - Tennessee Smokies
- Neil Reinstated From Temporary Inactive List - Jacksonville Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.