Red Bulls Control Home Opener But Settle for 0-0 Tie with D.C. UnitedMarch 16, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - New York Red Bulls Press Release
The Red Bulls controlled most of the match and Fabian Espindola came closest in the opening 45 minutes, heading a Thierry Henry feed off the crossbar. Earlier, eight minutes in, New York's Eric Alexander slipped Henry in and the Frenchman forced goalkeeper Bill Hamid to make a full extension stop.
In the 56th minute, Espindola hit the crossbar again, this time from 15 yards out with a left-footed blast. Soon after. Alexander played it over the top to Henry and the forward volleyed it high. Hamid came up trumps for United later, making a point blank save on Tim Cahill seconds to keep the score line even.
New York defender Brandon Barklage nearly earned three points for the hosts at the end, forcing Hamid to make a last gasp save off the end line with a header.
The Red Bulls next hit the road to take on the Montreal Impact on Saturday, March 23 at Olympic Stadium at 4:30 PM (TV: MSG - Pre-Game Show at 4:00 PM: Radio: ESPN Deportes Nueva York 1050 AM). New York returns home on Saturday, March 30 to battle the Philadelphia Union at Red Bull Arena at 3:30 PM. Tickets are available by calling 1.877.RBSOCCER or logging onto www.newyorkredbulls.com.
Major League Soccer Stories from March 16, 2013
- Revolution have first loss of 2013 season - New England Revolution
- Revs Undone by Union's One Pivotal Moment - New England Revolution
- Real Salt Lake Draw Colorado Rapids 1-1 in 2013 Home Opener - Real Salt Lake
- Union Win 1-0 Contest against New England Revolution at PPL Park - Philadelphia Union
- Earthquakes Use Comeback Magic Again to Earn 1-1 Draw against Columbus Crew on the Road - San Jose Earthquakes
- Impact Wins 2-1 in Home Opener Versus Toronto FC - Montreal Impact
- Galaxy Ready for First SuperClasico of 2013 - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chicago Fire Earn Hard Fought 0-0 Draw against Sporting Kansas City - Chicago Fire
- Sporting KC Home Opener Ends in Scoreless Draw - Sporting Kansas City
- Red Bulls Control Home Opener But Settle for 0-0 Tie with D.C. United - New York Red Bulls
- Heaps Weighs His Options - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.