Heaps Weighs His OptionsMarch 16, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - New England Revolution
Long-term injury victim Saër Sène (left ACL surgery recovery) remains the only player firmly ruled out for the excursion to PPL Park as Heaps sorts through his potential options for the date against the Union.
"We have almost everyone here training full," Heaps told MLSsoccer.com on Thursday. "We're working on Saër and getting him back here. We're doing well in terms of the injuries."
Revolution defender Chris Tierney loomed as the primary concern last week as he continued to work his way back to full fitness after an ankle injury suffered in preseason. He returned to the practice field this week on an unrestricted basis in a bid to boost his efforts to earn a place in the starting XI.
"Last week, he was almost in full training," Heaps said. "This week, he was in full training. It was such a gruesome injury, but he's doing well with his recovery."
Tierney's recovery and the continued health of Kelyn Rowe (knee) gives Heaps plenty of choices in midfield. Rowe will push for a place from the outset after playing an influential role off the bench in the 1-0 victory at Toyota Park, but he will face competition from Lee Nguyen and Donnie Smith for the two wide berths if Heaps opts to stick with the 4-2-3-1 setup selected last weekend.
Heaps said the competition for places will ultimately benefit the Revs as they prepare for the challenges presented by John Hackworth's side.
"That's the good thing about having players ready and healthy: it makes our job a lot harder, but it gives us the choices to be able to take advantage of some of our strengths and eliminate some of the other team's strengths," Heaps said.
Major League Soccer Stories from March 16, 2013
- Revolution have first loss of 2013 season - New England Revolution
- Revs Undone by Union's One Pivotal Moment - New England Revolution
- Real Salt Lake Draw Colorado Rapids 1-1 in 2013 Home Opener - Real Salt Lake
- Union Win 1-0 Contest against New England Revolution at PPL Park - Philadelphia Union
- Earthquakes Use Comeback Magic Again to Earn 1-1 Draw against Columbus Crew on the Road - San Jose Earthquakes
- Impact Wins 2-1 in Home Opener Versus Toronto FC - Montreal Impact
- Galaxy Ready for First SuperClasico of 2013 - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chicago Fire Earn Hard Fought 0-0 Draw against Sporting Kansas City - Chicago Fire
- Sporting KC Home Opener Ends in Scoreless Draw - Sporting Kansas City
- Red Bulls Control Home Opener But Settle for 0-0 Tie with D.C. United - New York Red Bulls
- Heaps Weighs His Options - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.