LA Galaxy Foundation and Herbalife Family Foundation Donate $10,000 in Costa RicaMarch 7, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Los Angeles Galaxy
The Galaxy, in town to face CS Herediano in the CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinals, in coordination with Herbalife and the U.S. Embassy in Costa Rica, hosted about 50 children from the La Libertad Foundation at their hotel. Defenders Omar Gonzalez and Sean Franklin and midfielders Juninho and Marcelo Sarvas conducted a 30-minute soccer clinic for the children and then spent some time with them, posing for photos and signing autographs.
The La Libertad Foundation is an organization that uses sports, soccer in particular, to help at-risk youth ages 17-and-under in the Pavas neighborhood of Costa Rica avoid a life of crime. The foundation also provides mentorship and offers programs that improve children's job skills, appreciation of arts and, of course, interest in sports.
Along with the donation from the LA Galaxy Foundation and the Herbalife Family Foundation, the team also donated t-shirts and the players donated soccer equipment- forward Robbie Keane even donated a pair of his game-worn boots.
All the Galaxy players were happy to have lent a helping hand and give something back to the community.
There was no bigger draw than @marcelosarvas who was interviewed by local media prior to the clinic. twitter.com/LAGalaxyInside...
"When you live in a country like [Costa Rica], you know how important a few words for the children are," said Sarvas, who played for LD Alajuelense in Costa Rica prior to joining the Galaxy. "I think that it's very beautiful for Galaxy and Herbalife to do this and help these people. I'm sure that (children from La Libertad Foundation) had a beautiful day and they will keep this in their memory for a while."
Major League Soccer Stories from March 7, 2013
- Three Points: Galaxy Claim 0-0 Draw in First Leg of Champions League - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Timbers Weekly Update - Portland Timbers
- CCL Pregame Notes: Herediano vs LA Galaxy - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake GK Nick Rimando Nominated for Utah Governor's State of Sport Awards - Real Salt Lake
- After Week 1 Bye, Revs Eager for Opener - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy Foundation and Herbalife Family Foundation Donate $10,000 in Costa Rica - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sounders FC Waive Sodade - Seattle Sounders FC
- Toronto FC Announce MLS Reserve League Home Schedule - Toronto FC
- D.C. United, RomÃ¡ntica 900AM & Radio Cuscatleca USA.com - D.C. United
- Impact and EMSB Launch Stay-In-School Program for Eighth Year - Montreal Impact
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2013 RSL Youth Camps Schedule - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy Prepared for the "Electric" Atmosphere against Herediano - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Tigres UANL Tops Sounders FC 1-0 in Champions League Quarterfinal Opener - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.