Whitecaps FC Midfielder Gershon Koffie Obtains Permanent Canadian Residency Card, Agrees to ContractFebruary 26, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
"Gershon has embraced this club, city, and country, and we are very happy for him," said Martin Rennie, Whitecaps FC head coach. "He is the type of character we want at our club and being only 21, we think he has a big future ahead of him."
Born in Koforidua, Ghana, and raised in Accra, Ghana, Koffie first signed with Whitecaps FC on September 3, 2010, for the final matches of the "Caps last season in division two. The 6-00, 175-pound central midfielder transitioned with the club to MLS and has since started 57 of his 59 MLS appearances, including the club's first ever MLS Cup Playoffs appearance. In that time, the promising young player has scored four goals and recorded two assists.
"I'm really glad to become a permanent resident of Canada," said Koffie. "The fans have been fantastic since I came to Vancouver in 2010. They've welcomed me and made this my home. I love this city and I can't wait to get back on the field."
Prior joining Whitecaps FC, the Ghanaian U-20 international played four seasons for International Allies FC in his native Ghana.
With the acquisition of his permanent residency card, Koffie will now count as a domestic player in MLS. For the 2013 season, Whitecaps FC hold 11 international spots and currently have ten internationals under contract.
Major League Soccer roster compliance deadline
The deadline for all MLS clubs to be roster compliant is March 1. While a club may continue to add or release players from their roster or training camp, the club's official roster - players under contract - must remain within the MLS roster guidelines.
Whitecaps FC kickoff the 2013 MLS season this Saturday, March 2, against Canadian arch-rivals Toronto FC at BC Place. Season tickets are available and start at $349, plus applicable service charges and fees. To secure a seat and for additional information about Whitecaps FC MLS season tickets, including Pitchside Club and suites, call 604.669.9283 or visit whitecapsfc.com/tickets.
Major League Soccer Stories from February 26, 2013
- Chivas USA Adds Defenders Velazquez and Vilchez - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Consistency Is Key - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Villarreal, U.S. U-20's Advance to U-20 World Cup - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Philadelphia Union Unveil 2013 Third Kit - Philadelphia Union
- San Jose Earthquakes, Comcast SportsNet to Air 29 Regular Season Games in 2013 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Development Update - Portland Timbers
- Rapids Partner with 7-Eleven to Create "The Corner 7-Eleven" - Colorado Rapids
- Quebec Players Wandrille Lefevre and Maxim Tissot Join First Team from Academy as Homegrown Players - Montreal Impact
- D.C. United Academy Update - D.C. United
- This Week in MLS - MLS
- Whitecaps FC Midfielder Gershon Koffie Obtains Permanent Canadian Residency Card, Agrees to Contract - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- San Jose Earthquakes Sign Chris Wondolowski to Designated Player Contract - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire and Quaker Oats Ask Fans to Choose Next Fire Bobblehead - Chicago Fire
- Rapids and Altitude Announce Broadcast Schedule for 2013 Season - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United signs midfielder Marcos Sánchez on one year loan from Tauro FC - D.C. United
- Guy to Represent Guam in AFC Challenge Cup Qualifiers - New England Revolution
- Captain Torsten Frings Announces His Retirement - Toronto FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.