Rapids Midfielder Dillon Serna Added to U.S. U-20 Roster for World Cup QualifyingFebruary 13, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Colorado Rapids
"Dillon has worked hard to get this opportunity, performing well at Akron last fall and with the Rapids throughout preseason," said Rapids Technical Director Paul Bravo. "We're proud to have two Homegrown Players being noticed on a national level and see it as a testament to our youth system."
The Brighton, Colo., native was signed by the Rapids last month after being part of the club's U-15/16 and U-17/18 U.S. Soccer Development Academy teams and spending one year at the University of Akron. This is the 18-year-old's second call up to the U.S. U-20 side. He was part of U.S. team at the Northern Ireland Milk Cup last July, making the first of three appearance against Denmark on July 21, 2012.
The U-20s open the CONCACAF U-20 Championship group stage against Haiti on Feb. 18 and Costa Rica on Feb. 22 at Estadio OlÃ-mpico Universitario Lobos BUAP in Puebla, Mexico. Both Group A matches kick off at 5:30 p.m. CT and are televised on FOX Soccer. The top four teams from the CONCACAF U-20 Championship advance to the U-20 World Cup in Turkey from June 21-July 13.
U.S. U-20 MNT Roster By Position:
GOALKEEPERS (3): Cody Cropper (Southampton FC; Maple Grove, Minn.), Kendall McIntosh (Santa Clara; Santa Rosa, Calif.), Zackary Steffen (FC DELCO Academy; Downington, Pa.)
DEFENDERS (5): Eric Miller (Creighton; Woodbury, Minn.), Juan Pablo Ocegueda (C.D. Guadalajara; Riverside, Calif.), Boyd Okwuonu (North Carolina; Edmund, Okla.), Shane O'Neill (Colorado Rapids; Boulder, Colo.), Javan Torre (UCLA; Santa Monica, Calif.)
MIDFIELDERS (6): Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake; Garden Grove, Calif.), Benji Joya (Santos Laguna; San Jose, Calif.), Mikey Lopez (Sporting Kansas City; Mission, Texas), Dillon Serna (Colorado Rapids; Brighton, Colo.), Caleb Stanko (SC Freiburg; Holly, Mich.), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew; Gahanna, Ohio)
FORWARDS (6): Brandon Allen (Georgetown; Old Bridge, N.J.), Daniel Cuevas (Santos Laguna; Sacramento, Calif.), Daniel Garcia (North Carolina; Dallas, Texas), Jerome Kiesewetter (VfB Stuttgart; Berlin, Germany), Mario Rodriguez (1. FC Kaiserslautern; North Hollywood, Calif.), Jose Villarreal (LA Galaxy; Inglewood, Calif.)
The Rapids' next preseason competition is this Thursday against UNLV in a friendly match, followed by the Las Vegas ProSoccer Challenge against Chivas USA on Friday. Colorado will open the 2013 regular season at home on March 9 against the Philadelphia Union, with a special March to Soccer ticket package available for the first two home matches featuring 4 tickets and a $20 voucher for $52.80.
Major League Soccer Stories from February 13, 2013
- Real Salt Lake Draws New York Red Bulls 2-2 in FC Tucson Desert Diamond Cup Opener - Real Salt Lake
- Desert Diamond Cup: Seattle Sounders FC 2 vs. New England 0 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Impact Wins 4-1 over Tampa Bay at Orlando - Montreal Impact
- Whitecaps FC Acquire 2015 SuperDraft Pick from Portland Timbers - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers Acquire Right of First Refusal to Michael Nanchoff from Whitecaps FC - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy to Close out Preseason against Rapids - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Rapids Midfielder Dillon Serna Added to U.S. U-20 Roster for World Cup Qualifying - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United Announces Details for Its 11th Annual Kick-Off Luncheon - D.C. United
- Sporting KC Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Timbers Acquire Midfielder Ben Zemanski from Chivas USA - Portland Timbers
- Chivas USA Trades Midfielder Ben Zemanski - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- LA Galaxy to Face Colorado Rapids in Preseason - Los Angeles Galaxy
- San Jose Earthquakes Sign D Ramiro Corrales, F Mike Fucito - San Jose Earthquakes
- Rapids to Face LA Galaxy in Preseason Exhibition in Santa Barbara - Colorado Rapids
- Houston Dynamo Unveil Local TV Broadcast Schedule for 2013 - Houston Dynamo
- Philadelphia Union Announce 2013 Promotional Schedule - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.