2013 Schedule Announced; Champions Honored at May 31 Home OpenerFebruary 6, 2013 - Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) - Indiana Fever Press Release
The Fever will play 34 regular-season games including a season opener at San Antonio, Friday, May 24. Four games will be televised nationally, including a Saturday afternoon game on June 8 (3:30 p.m.) on ABC-TV when the Fever hosts the Phoenix Mercury and the WNBA's No. 1 draft pick. Three subsequent ESPN2 dates include home dates on June 12 against Connecticut and July 23 against New York; and an August 24 road matchup with Minnesota.
Returning from an eighth straight playoff appearance in 2012, and nine in 13 seasons, Indiana begins its 14th WNBA season under the direction of sixth-year coach Lin Dunn. Dunn is the winningest coach in Fever history, leading Indiana to five consecutive playoff berths and four straight years with at least 20 wins. Now wearing the "defending champs" target on its back, Indiana has amassed at least 20 wins in seven of the past eight seasons, the only franchise in league history to make that claim.
The Fever's schedule includes 22 games against the Eastern Conference and 12 against the West. The Fever plays four games apiece against Eastern foes Atlanta, Chicago and Washington; and squares off against Connecticut and New York five times. Home and away games are scheduled against each of six Western Conference opponents.
Indiana closes the regular season at Connecticut on Sunday, Sept. 15. Schedule highlights include:
- Indiana's home opener is Friday, May 31 (7:00 p.m.) against 2012 WNBA scoring champion Angel McCoughtry and the Atlanta Dream, and will feature the raising of the club's 2012 WNBA championship banner.
- The longest homestand of the season features four games capped by Indiana's annual Kids Day game on Thursday, July 11 (12:00 p.m.) when the Minnesota Lynx come to town for a WNBA Finals rematch. The afternoon contest has annually drawn one of the Fever's largest crowds of the season.
- The schedule features three visits by the Connecticut Sun and newly hired coach Anne Donovan, the former U.S. Olympic coach who guided the Fever during its inaugural campaign in 2000. The Sun, which the Fever defeated in last year's Eastern Conference Finals, is led by 2012 WNBA MVP Tina Charles. Connecticut's first appearance in Indianapolis is on Wednesday, June 12 (7:00 p.m.), followed by subsequent trips on Saturday, July 6 (7:00 p.m.) and Saturday, Sept. 7 (7:00 p.m.).
- The Fever welcomes another new, though returning, WNBA head coach when former NBA star Bill Laimbeer leads his New York Liberty into Bankers Life Fieldhouse on Tuesday, July 23 (7:00 p.m.) and Friday, Sept. 13 (7:00 p.m.).
- Indiana battles Western Conference foes in five straight games, and six of seven, in late August. The Fever closes the season with seven consecutive bouts against the East.
- SCHEDULE TO FOLLOW -
A WNBA playoff participant in eight straight seasons and nine times since 2002, the Indiana Fever became the champion of women's basketball after defeating the Minnesota Lynx for the 2012 WNBA Championship. The Fever is the only team in WNBA history to record seven 20-win seasons during an 8-year span, a current streak that dates to 2005. During that time, the Fever has reached at least the Eastern Conference Finals five times while appearing in the WNBA Finals in 2009 and 2012. For 2013 season ticket information, visit FeverBasketball.com or call (317) 917-2528.
2013 INDIANA FEVER REGULAR SEASON SCHEDULE
Date Opponent Time TV
Fri. 24 at San Antonio 8:00 p.m.
Fri. 31 Atlanta 7:00 p.m.
Wed. 5 at New York 10:30 a.m.
Sat. 8 Phoenix 3:30 p.m. ABC
Wed. 12 Connecticut 8:00 p.m. ESPN2
Sun. 16 at Washington 2:00 p.m.
Sat. 22 Chicago 7:00 p.m.
Tue. 25 at Atlanta 12:00 p.m.
Fri. 28 Tulsa 7:00 p.m.
Sun. 30 Seattle 6:00 p.m.
Sat. 6 Connecticut 7:00 p.m.
Thu. 11 Minnesota 12:00 p.m.
Sat. 13 at New York 6:00 p.m.
Fri. 19 Washington 7:00 p.m.
Sun. 21 at Washington 4:00 p.m.
Tue. 23 New York 7:00 p.m. ESPN2
Thu. 25 at Tulsa 12:30 p.m.
Thu. 1 at Connecticut 7:00 p.m.
Sat. 3 Chicago 7:00 p.m.
Tue. 6 at Chicago 8:00 p.m.
Thu. 8 Los Angeles 7:00 p.m.
Sat. 10 Atlanta 7:00 p.m.
Wed. 14 at Phoenix 10:00 p.m.
Fri. 16 at Los Angeles 11:00 p.m.
Sat. 17 at Seattle 10:00 p.m.
Wed. 21 San Antonio 7:00 p.m.
Sat. 24 at Minnesota 7:00 p.m. ESPN2
Fri. 30 at New York 7:30 p.m.
Wed. 4 at Atlanta 7:00 p.m.
Fri. 6 at Chicago 8:30 p.m.
Sat. 7 Connecticut 7:00 p.m.
Tue. 10 Washington 7:00 p.m.
Fri. 13 New York 7:00 p.m.
Sun. 15 at Connecticut 1:00 p.m.
All times are ET
Times are subject to change
For season or group ticket information, call (317) 917-2528.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
• Digg this story
• Add to Del.icio.us
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from February 6, 2013
- Atlanta Dream Announces 2013 Schedule - Atlanta Dream
- Mystics Release 2013 Schedule - Washington Mystics
- New York Liberty Announce 2013 Regular Season Schedule - New York Liberty
- 2013 Schedule Announced; Champions Honored at May 31 Home Opener - Indiana Fever
- Minnesota Lynx to Open 2013 Season on June 1 vs. Connecticut - Minnesota Lynx
- Chicago Sky Release 2013 Schedule - Chicago Sky
- WNBA Announces 2013 Regular Season Schedule - WNBA
- Connecticut Sun Announce 2013 Schedule - Connecticut Sun
- Shock Re-Sign Black, Holt and Paris - Tulsa Shock
- Wheaton North Sky Girls HS Basketball Team of the Week - Chicago Sky
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.