Elliot's Early Goal Enough for DynamoJanuary 31, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Houston Dynamo
The goal-scoring play began when the Dynamo forced a turnover from the Rapids near midfield and quickly played the ball to Johnson on the left flank. Houston's first round pick in the 2013 draft drove the ball inside toward goal, fighting off several Colorado defenders before passing to Elliot at the top of the Rapids penalty area. The Scottish striker held off his marker, turned, and fired a shot under the crossbar for his first goal of the preseason. It was also Johnson's first assist.
Houston nearly added to its lead in the 32nd minute. The buildup began with a well-weighted ball behind the Colorado defense from midfielder Adam Moffat to Alex Dixon, who raced toward the end line before driving a pass across the six-yard box. Elliot met Dixon's cross near the far post, but his sliding shot was saved by Colorado goalkeeper Steward Ceus.
The Dynamo came close again in first half stoppage time. Midfielder Franck Songo'o played a deftly weighted through ball in front of Johnson, who raced into the box and fired a low shot that was stopped by a charging Ceus.
Seven minutes after halftime, Giles Barnes sent a long cross from the left flank toward the far post. Songo'o tried a one-touch finish, but it sailed wide of the near post.
Colorado's first big chance arrived in the 67th minute when Walter Martinez found Cesar Romero in the middle of the Houston half. Romero broke free into the box, but fired just wide of the post.
Twelve minutes later, substitute goalkeeper Erich Marscheider came up with a vital save to preserve the lead. Martinez again was the playmaker, setting up Dillon Serna, who targeted the low corner with his shot, but Marscheider dove to his left and got a hand on the shot to push it wide.
The Dynamo will conclude their trip to Tucson on Saturday, when they play the Vancouver Whitecaps at 5 p.m. CT. The match will be held at the Kino Sports Complex and will be streamed live at www.HoustonDynamo.com.
Major League Soccer Stories from January 31, 2013
- Elliot's Early Goal Enough for Dynamo - Houston Dynamo
- Robbie Keane Returns to Los Angeles - Los Angeles Galaxy
- LA Galaxy to host meet-the-team event at L.A. Live ahead of the MLS season opener - Los Angeles Galaxy
- LA Galaxy Academy to Participate in Dallas Cup Opening Day Quadruple-Header - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chivas USA Academy Product Selected to U.S. U-17 Men's National Team - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- D.C. United and Head Coach Ben Olsen Extend Contract - D.C. United
- Another Call-Up for Defender Aron Mkungilwa with Canada U17 - Montreal Impact
- Chivas USA Announces On-Sale Dates for Mini-Plans and Individual Tickets - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- FC Dallas and MLS Reach Agreement with Stoke City on Brek Shea Transfer - FC Dallas
- Seahawks and Sounders FC to Expand Retail Store at CenturyLink - Seattle Sounders FC
- Arrieta Earns International Call-Up for 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifying - Columbus Crew
- Whitecaps to Release Tickets for All 2013 Regular Season Home Matches - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire Sign Midfielder Brendan King - Chicago Fire
- Sounders FC Single Match Tickets to Go on Sale Monday - Seattle Sounders FC
- Crew Unveils 2013 Promotional Schedule - Columbus Crew
- Visa Presale Available for 2013 MLS All-Star Game - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.