Chicago Fire Announce Samuel Archer as Winner of Open TryoutJanuary 8, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Chicago Fire Press Release
"Winning the open tryout means everything to me," said Archer. "It's always been my ultimate goal and dream to play professionally. This is a good step on my journey to becoming a professional player and I'm ready to show what I've got."
"Many skillful players emerged during the two day tryout," said Chicago Fire Academy Director Larry Sunderland. "Sam's composure and skill with the ball were evident throughout the process. We're excited to have Sam join the first team during training camp later this month."
A product of Queens, N.Y., the 23-year-old forward was one of 150 players who attended the club's annual Open Tryout. Archer, a standout at Rutgers University, was invited to take part in the Colorado Rapids preseason in 2012 as a trialist and spent time with USL Pro sides Harrisburg City Islanders and the Wilmington Hammerheads. A holder of dual American and Jamaican passports, Archer is a product of the New York Red Bulls Academy system and was a member of the U.S. U-17 National Team pool.
Name: Samuel Archer Position: Forward Height: 6' (1.83m) Weight: 165 lbs. (75kg) Date of Birth: January 18, 1989 Place of Birth: Queens, New York Citizenship: USA and Jamaica College: Rutgers University
Chicago Fire Season Tickets and #cf97withdrawals Winter Packs, which give fans the opportunity to witness the Men in Red in action on Opening Day while donning the four Fire hats and four pairs of Fire gloves included in the pack, are available by calling 1-888-MLS-FIRE, via Ticketmaster or by heading to the club's official website at www.Chicago-Fire.com.
Archer will look to follow in the footsteps of defender Pari Pantazopoulos, who emerged to win the club's Open Tryout in 2011 and a spot on the first team's preseason roster. The Mt. Prospect, IL product advanced through all three phases of the club's preseason camp to sign on as a member of the Chicago Fire. Pantazopoulos made his first team debut on June 28, 2011 in a U.S. Open Cup match vs. the Rochester Rhinos and went on to appear in the club's midseason friendly against English giants Manchester United at Soldier Field on July 23.
Major League Soccer Stories from January 8, 2013
- Marco Schallibaum Announces Coaching Staff - Montreal Impact
- San Jose Earthquakes Duo Named to Honduras National Team Camp Roster - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo Re-Sign Forward Cam Weaver - Houston Dynamo
- Rapids Re-Sign Defender Marvell Wynne - Colorado Rapids
- Martinez Called in to Honduras National Team - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Sign Midfielder Steven Evans as Second Homegrown Player - Portland Timbers
- Chicago Fire Announce Samuel Archer as Winner of Open Tryout - Chicago Fire
- Three Players Sign New Contracts as Preseason Start Nears - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Red Bulls Sign Midfielder Lloyd Sam to New Contract - New York Red Bulls
- Timbers Formally Introduce New Head Coach Caleb Porter at Jeld-Wen Field - Portland Timbers
- Tickets to Sounders FC vs. Tigres Go on Sale Monday - Seattle Sounders FC
- Ryan Nelsen Named Toronto FC Head Coach - Toronto FC
- FC Dallas Names Brent Erwin Assistant Coach - FC Dallas
- D.C. United, Annandale Boys & Girls Club and adidas Reach Affiliate Agreement - D.C. United
- Toronto FC Parts Ways with Mariner - Toronto FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.