Albany Devils WeeklyDecember 4, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Albany Devils Press Release
The Albany Devils prepare for back-to-back divisional games this weekend. They host the Bridgeport Sound Tigers Saturday at 5 pm and then travel to the Connecticut Whale Sunday at 3 pm. Albany, which has played the fewest games in the AHL (18), is fifth in the Northeast Division and 15th in the Eastern Conference with a 5-8-0-5 record (15pts.). The team is 2-5-0-3 at home and 3-3-0-2 on the road. Bridgeport is second in the division and ninth in the conference with a 10-9-0-1 mark (21 pts.), including a 5-6-0-0 road record. Connecticut is third in the division and tied for 10th in the conference with a 9-9-2-0 record (20 pts.), including a 3-5-1-0 home mark.
Coming off a 3-2 win at the Adirondack Phantoms Saturday, the Devils are 3-2-0-1 against divisional opponents this season.
The Devils and Sound Tigers are meeting for the first of six contests. Albany is 12-16-3-5 against Bridgeport all-time and in 2011-12 the Devils posted a 2-4-0-0 record. Ten of the Devils 12 wins all-time against the Sound Tigers have come on home ice, going 10-5-1-2.
Saturday's game will be the third of six meetings between the Devils and the Whale. Connecticut claimed a 5-2 win on Oct. 24 and a 2-1 shootout victory on Nov. 2. Both outings were at Times Union Center. The Devils are 19-16-2-3 all-time against the Whale and 9-8-1-1 at XL Center.
The Devils have signed center Stephen Gionta to an AHL contract. The announcement was made Monday by Albany General Manager Chris Lamoriello. Gionta, 29, is the AHL Devils all-time leader for points (135), goals (56), assists (79), shots (815) and games played (360). He served as team captain for four of the last five seasons. In 2011-12, he appeared in 56 games, producing 16 points with six goals and 10 assists before being recalled by the New Jersey Devils on April 5. He scored his first NHL goal on April 7 against the Ottawa Senators. Gionta was a member of the 2012 Eastern Conference Championship team, playing in 24 Stanley Cup Playoff games. He registered seven points with three goals and four assists.
- The Devils announced last Wednesday that center Adam Henrique is expected to miss four to six weeks after a procedure to repair the Ulnar Collateral Ligament (UCL) in his left thumb. He suffered the injury during the Nov. 25 game against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins in Atlantic City, NJ.
- Adam Larsson has six points, including two goals and four assists, in the last eight games. For the season, he ranks second on the team with 10 points with two goals and a team-high eight assists.
- Jacob Josefson continues to lead the team for points (12), goals (8), power-play goals (2) and shorthanded goals (2). Additionally, he ranks second with a plus-6 rating.
- Keith Kinkaid turned aside a career-high 44 shots at Adirondack Saturday. His previous personal best was 37, which he accomplished four times: Nov. 9, 2012 at Providence, Mar. 17, 2012 at Hershey, Mar. 9, 2012 at Syracuse and Feb. 12, 2012 at Providence.
- Jeff Frazee has allowed just one goal in a game four times this season: Oct. 26 vs. Adirondack, Nov. 2 vs. Connecticut, Nov. 10 vs. Adirondack and Nov. 30 vs. St. John's. He is 3-3-0-2 with a 2.22 goals-against average and a .917 save percentage.
- Mattias Tedenby netted the game-winning goal at Adirondack Saturday. He is third on the team with four goals and tied for fifth with seven points. He has goals in two of the last three outings.
- Matt Anderson, who is second on the team with 10 points, leads the team with a plus-8 rating.
- Tim Sestito has three points in the last fiving contests. He registered a season-high two assists at Rochester on Nov. 23 and posted a helper at Adirondack Saturday. He is tied for fifth on the team with seven points and tied for second with six assists.
- Bobby Butler has three points in as many games. He tallied a goal and an assist against Wilkes-Barre/Scranton on Nov. 25 and had an assist at Adirondack Saturday. In 17 games, he has six points with three goals and three assists.
LAST WEEK'S RESULTS
Fri., Nov. 30; St. John's 1 at Albany 0 (Times Union Center)
Jeff Frazee made 22 saves on 23 shots, but the Devils lost, 1-0, to the St. John's IceCaps Friday at Times Union Center. St. John's netminder Eddie Pasquale earned his second shutout of the year by making all 24 saves.
Frazee's night included nine saves in the first, eight in the second and five in the third. He is now 3-3-2 with a 2.22 goals-against average and a .917 save percentage. Pasquale made eight stops in the first, seven in the second and nine in the third.
St. John's Zach Redmond opened the scoring at 5:53 of the second when he was set up in the slot for a one-timer by Jason Jaffray. Maxime Macenauer was credited with the second assist. The power-play tally came during a span of three straight St. John's man advantages to begin the period.
1st Period- No Scoring.
2nd Period-1, St. John's, Redmond 6 (Jaffray, Macenauer), 5:53 (PP).
3rd Period- No Scoring.
Shots on Goal-St. John's 9-9-5-23. Albany 8-7-9-24.
Power Play Opportunities-St. John's 1 / 4; Albany 0 / 3.
Goalies-St. John's, Pasquale 6-7-1 (24 shots-24 saves). Albany, Frazee 3-3-2 (23 shots-22 saves).
Sat., Dec. 1; Albany 3 at Adirondack 2 (Glens Falls Civic Center)
The Devils took a two-game advantage in the chase for the Time Warner Cable Cup with a 3-2 victory against the Adirondack Phantoms Saturday at Glens Falls Civic Center. The Devils own a 3-1 advantage in the best-of-12 series between the Northway Rivals. The win was the first for the Devils at Glens Falls Civic Center since March 11, 2011 when they staked a 2-1 victory.
Goaltender Keith Kinkaid led Albany's defensive efforts with a season-high 44 saves on 46 shots. The second-year pro made 13 stops in the first, 15 in the second and 16 in the third. Offensively, Joe Whitney, Jacob Josefson and Mattias Tedenby each scored. For Adirondack, Erik Gustafsson and Tye McGinn scored and Cal Heeter made 31 saves.
1st Period-1, Albany, Whitney 2 (Butler), 19:57.
2nd Period-2, Albany, Josefson 8 (Larsson, Pesonen), 0:31. 3, Adirondack, Gustafsson 3 (Syvret, Couturier), 6:31 (PP).
3rd Period-4, Albany, Tedenby 4 (Wiseman, Sestito), 4:16. 5, Adirondack, McGinn 6 (Gustafsson, Akeson), 18:44 (PP).
Shots on Goal-Albany 8-17-9-34. Adirondack 13-16-17-46.
Power Play Opportunities-Albany 0 / 2; Adirondack 2 / 7.
Goalies-Albany, Kinkaid 2-5-3 (46 shots-44 saves). Adirondack, Heeter 3-6-0 (34 shots-31 saves).).
Upcoming Milestones Matt Anderson - 7 games away from 300 career AHL games
Jeff Frazee - 1 shutout away from 10 career AHL shutouts
Adam Henrique - 8 games away from 100 career AHL games
Tim Sestito - 7 games away from 300 career AHL games
Steve Zalewski - 4 points away from 200 career AHL points
Tim Sestito - 100th career AHL point; at RCH (Nov. 23)
Jay Leach - 450th career AHL game; vs. NOR (Nov. 12)
Matt Anderson - 100th career AHL assist; vs. PRO (Apr. 14)
Steve Zalewski - 300th career AHL game; at NOR (Mar. 23)
Darcy Zajac - 100th career AHL game; at SYR (Mar. 9)
Dan Kelly - 100th career AHL game; vs. BRI (Mar. 2)
American Hockey League Stories from December 4, 2012
- Paradis Reassigned to Toledo - Rockford IceHogs
- Falcons Assign Defenseman Cullity To Steelheads - Springfield Falcons
- Griffins Aim to Reclaim First in Busy Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- AHL Weekly - AHL
- Konan Reassigned to Adirondack - Adirondack Phantoms
- Monarchs Sign Mannino - Manchester Monarchs
- Albany Devils Weekly - Albany Devils
- Admirals Look to Carry Momentum into D.C., Binghamton - Norfolk Admirals
- Former Crunch Captain Zenon Konopka Returns to Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Admrials Featured in Sports Illustarted/Weekly Notes - Milwaukee Admirals
- DiSalvatore, Potulny Named Alternate Captains - Hershey Bears
- Hamilton Bulldogs Reassign Alain Berger and Joe Stejskal - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Penguins Sign Farnham to AHL Contract - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Mallet Sent to Kalamazoo - Chicago Wolves
- Hamilton Bulldogs Teaming up with Hamilton Police for Ride Ticket Program - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Winnipeg Jets Jacob Trouba Invited to Team USA World Junior Championship Selection Camp - St. John's IceCaps
- Barons to Paint Habitat for Humanity on December 6 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Shop For Falcons Gear At Tower Square - Springfield Falcons
- Penguins Weekly - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.