LAST WEEK'S RESULTS
Friday, November 30: PENGUINS 5, Crunch 3...
Riley Holzapfel's three-point night (1g-2a) and Trevor Smith's two goals helped the Penguins to a 5-3 win over the division-leading Crunch and a 10-2-0-0 record in the month of November
With the score knotted, 1-1, in the second period, Holzapfel assisted on Beau Bennett's go-ahead tally at 8:49 and later provided the primary helper on Brian Dumoulin's power play goal late in the frame built a two-cushion for WBS
Holzapfel also notched a 5-on-4 brekaway goal halfway through the third period that proved to be the eventual game-winner. Jeff Zatkoff stopped 23-of-26 shots for his fifth win in a row.
Saturday, December 1: PENGUINS 5, IceCaps 3...
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton held St. John's to just 16 shots in defeating the IceCaps, 5-3, at Mohegan Sun Arena.
The Penguins would get out to a fast start as Simon Despres and Warren Peters each scored in the first 3:07 of the game to jump ahead, 2-0. A steady St. John's rally would have the contest tied late in the second before Dylan Reese's power play goal with 19.8 seconds until the intermission put WBS ahead for good.
Benn Ferriero added an insurance goal early in the third and Riley Holzapfel clinched the win on an empty-net tally with 1:05 remaining. Jeff Zatkoff recorded his 10th win of the season with 13 saves.
Friday, December 7, 7:05 PM: PENGUINS vs. Bears... 102.3 the Mountain
The Penguins will try to gather their first win against the Bears on home ice as Hershey comes to Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza. The Bears were victorious in the first three meetings of the season before the Penguins earned a 4-0 shutout win on Nov. 21 at GIANT Center. Hershey (9-11-1-0) had a three-game winning streak stopped on Sunday by the Norfolk Admirals.
Saturday, December 8, 7:05 PM: PENGUINS vs. Pirates... MyNetworkTV; 102.3 the Mountain
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton completes its home portion of the four-game season series against the Pirates when Portland comes to town on Saturday. The Penguins edged the Pirates, 4-3, in the shootout on Nov. 10. Portland (10-9-1-1) has won four of its last six games and is currently in fourth place in the Atlantic Division, but just two points out of first. Alexander Bolduc is tied for fifth in the league with 22 points (12g-10a).
PENGUINS TEAM LEADERS as of 12/3/12...
PLAYER GP G A PTS
Beau Bennett 20 5 11 16
Riley Holzapfel 20 7 8 15
Benn Ferriero 20 2 12 14
Trevor Smith 20 7 6 13
Two players with 11 points
GOALIE GP REC SO GAA SV%
Jeff Zatkoff 15 10-5-0 2 1.81 .930
Brad Thiessen 5 3-2-0 0 3.25 .884
EAST DIVISION STANDINGS as of 12/3/12...
TEAM GP W L OTL SOL PTS
1. Syracuse Crunch 20 13 5 1 1 28
2. Binghamton Senators 18 12 4 1 1 26
3. PENGUINS 20 13 7 0 0 26
4. Hershey Bears 21 9 11 1 0 19
5. Norfolk Admirals 20 9 11 0 0 11
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton has won five straight, six in a row at home and went 10-2-0-0 in the month of November.
- The Penguins are 9-2-0-0 against out of division opponents
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton is undefeated when scoring three or more goals (9-0-0-0).
- Head Coach John Hynes earned his 115th victory with the Penguins on Saturday and is now tied with Glenn Patrick for first on the team's all-time wins list.
- Riley Holzapfel compiled five points (2g-3a) over the Penguins' two wins last weekend.
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton is 11-2-0-0 since Robert Bortuzzo returned to the lineup.
PENGUINS RECENT TRANSACTIONS...
12/01/2012 Dominik Uher C Reassigned by Pittsburgh (NHL) from Wheeling (ECHL)
12/01/2012 Keven Veilleux RW Reassigned by Pittsburgh (NHL) from Wheeling (ECHL)
11/30/2012 Dominik Uher C Reassigned by Pittsburgh (NHL) to Wheeling (ECHL)
11/30/2012 Keven Veilleux RW Reassigned by Pittsburgh (NHL) to Wheeling (ECHL)
CHRISTMAS JERSEY AUCTION THIS WEEKEND...
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins fans will have a chance to own one of the team's limited edition Christmas Jerseys during a silent auction this weekend at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza. These game-worn jerseys will be up for bid at both Penguins home games over the weekend - Friday, Dec. 7 versus the Hershey Bears and Saturday, Dec. 8 against the Portland Pirates. The silent auction will be located on the concourse behind Section 108 at Mohegan Sun Arena.
Zatkoff Named CCM/AHL Goaltender of the Month...
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins goaltender Jeff Zatkoff has been selected as the CCM/AHL Goaltender of the Month for November.
In nine appearances during the month, Zatkoff went 8-1-0 with a 1.21 goals-against average, a .955 save percentage and three shutouts to help the Penguins climb back into the thick of the race in the Eastern Conference.
In recognition of his achievement, Zatkoff will be presented with an etched crystal award prior to an upcoming Penguins home game.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 4, 2012
- Paradis Reassigned to Toledo - Rockford IceHogs
- Falcons Assign Defenseman Cullity To Steelheads - Springfield Falcons
- Griffins Aim to Reclaim First in Busy Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- AHL Weekly - AHL
- Konan Reassigned to Adirondack - Adirondack Phantoms
- Monarchs Sign Mannino - Manchester Monarchs
- Albany Devils Weekly - Albany Devils
- Admirals Look to Carry Momentum into D.C., Binghamton - Norfolk Admirals
- Former Crunch Captain Zenon Konopka Returns to Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Admrials Featured in Sports Illustarted/Weekly Notes - Milwaukee Admirals
- DiSalvatore, Potulny Named Alternate Captains - Hershey Bears
- Hamilton Bulldogs Reassign Alain Berger and Joe Stejskal - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Penguins Sign Farnham to AHL Contract - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Mallet Sent to Kalamazoo - Chicago Wolves
- Hamilton Bulldogs Teaming up with Hamilton Police for Ride Ticket Program - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Winnipeg Jets Jacob Trouba Invited to Team USA World Junior Championship Selection Camp - St. John's IceCaps
- Barons to Paint Habitat for Humanity on December 6 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Shop For Falcons Gear At Tower Square - Springfield Falcons
- Penguins Weekly - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.