Sound Tigers Fall to Phantoms 5-1November 21, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) Bridgeport Sound Tigers
Neither side was able to muster much momentum in the opening period, as both Munroe and Sound Tigers goaltender Kevin Poulin were rarely challenged. Poulin made a pair of big saves late in the period as Adirondack pressed in the Sound Tigers zone, but Poulin stopped all 10 shots that came his way and the two teams were scoreless after 20 minutes.
Adirondack broke onto the scoreboard just 13 seconds into the second period. Shortly after a Marc Cantin delay of game penalty expired, Harry Zolnierczyk collected a loose puck in the slot and fired past Poulin to give the Phantoms a 1-0 lead. Successive penalties to Aaron Ness and Cantin less than two minutes later provided the Phantoms with a 5-on-3 advantage that led to their second goal. Sean Couturier skated the puck to the high slot and roofed a slap shot over Poulin's glove to increase Adirondack's lead to two.
The Sound Tigers responded with a power-play tally of their own at the 4:21 mark of the middle frame. Nino Niederreiter skated the puck beneath the left faceoff circle of the Phantoms zone, then fired a pass through the slot that Jon Landry one-timed past Munroe to cut the Bridgeport deficit in half. The Phantoms struck again on the power play midway through the second period when Brayden Schenn sent a one-time blast from the right circle over Kevin Poulin's glove to put Adirondack ahead 3-1.
Tye McGinn netted the Phantoms' third power-play goal of the night at the 8:32 mark of the final period, deflecting Sean Couturier's point shot through Poulin to increase Adirondack's lead to 4-1. Shane Harper closed out the scoring at 16:37, as he capitalized on a turnover behind the Sound Tigers net and fired into the open cage.
The Sound Tigers return to action on Friday for their annual post-Thanksgiving clash with their in-state rival Connecticut Whale.
Game time is slated for 7:00 p.m.
NOTES: Niederreiter extended his active point streak to nine games with an assist on Landry's goal...The Sound Tigers have scored power play goals in seven straight games...Matt Donovan earned his second fight as a pro, dropping the gloves with Harper after taking a cross-check to the back...The Sound Tigers were outshot 34-23...Phantoms forward Jason Akeson recorded three assists in his first game back with Adirondack after beginning the year with Trenton (ECHL).
1. ADK: Jason Akeson
2. ADK: Sean Couturier
3. ADK: Brayden Schenn
American Hockey League Stories from November 21, 2012
- IceHogs Stuff the Rivermen 5-4 - Rockford IceHogs
- Oklahoma City Out-Guns Texas 6-4 - Texas Stars
- Rivermen Come up Short in Rockford - Peoria Rivermen
- Phantoms Power Past Bridgeport 5-1 - Adirondack Phantoms
- Checkers Maintain First Place, Down Admirals, 5-2 - Charlotte Checkers
- Checkers Upend Admirals, 5-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Sound Tigers Fall to Phantoms 5-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Penguins Skate to Shutout Win over Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bears Suffer First Setback to Penguins - Hershey Bears
- IceCaps Edged by Bulldogs 2-1 - St. John's IceCaps
- Bulldogs Paddle Past IceCaps 2-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Toronto Continues To Climb Western Conference Standings - Toronto Marlies
- B-Sens Weekly - Binghamton Senators
- Griffins Prepare for Season's Busiest Home Stretch - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hogs and Rivermen Clash on Thanksgiving Eve - Rockford IceHogs
- Hershey Bears Fans Invited to "Pink the Rink" on Sunday - Hershey Bears
- Falcons to Participate in Small Business Saturday - Springfield Falcons
- "Round Up" at Van Andel Arena this Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Checkers to Hold Hurricane Sandy Relief Drive Saturday, Sunday - Charlotte Checkers
- Bears Send Two to Reading - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.