Wingnuts Gain Split from DiablosAugust 17, 2012 - American Association (AA) Wichita Wingnuts
Down 1-0 in the bottom of the third, Jessie Mier reached first on an infield single and took second on an error by third baseman Reid Fronk. Mike Conroy beat out a sacrifice attempt to put runners on the corners. Ryan Khoury tied the game with a line drive sacrifice fly to center field that scored Mier and moved Conroy to third. With Jake Kahaulelio at the plate, Diablos' starter Ramon Garcia threw a wild pitch that brought in the go-ahead run. Kahaulelio then bunted for a single and scored on John Rodriguez's line drive, two-run homer to right-center.
With first and second and no outs in the fourth, Mier advanced the runners with a sacrifice bunt. Conroy followed with a sacrifice fly to deep right that scored Wilson Batista with the Wingnuts' fifth run.
El Paso scratched out an unearned run in the top of the fifth to cut Wichita's lead to 5-2. In the bottom of the inning, Kahaulelio lined a leadoff single to center and scored two batters later on a long double to right-center from C.J. Ziegler.
Khoury doubled home Conroy in the bottom of the eighth to make it 7-2.
Mitch Einertson singled home a run in the top of the ninth. El Paso then loaded the bases with two outs to bring the tying run to the plate before Khoury made a tumbling catch on Fernando Valenzuela Jr's popup to shallow left-center for the final out.
El Paso scored an unearned run in the top of the first on a Welington Dotel single to center.
Anthony Capra started for the Wingnuts and earned the win, allowing two unearned runs on six hits in six innings. Capra walked three and struck out seven.
Ramon Garcia took the loss for El Paso, allowing six earned runs on eight hits in five and one-third. Garcia walked four and struck out two.
Jared Simon and Nick Walters each worked a scoreless inning of relief. Seven different Wingnuts had at least one hit, while all nine starters reached base at least once. Kahaulelio, Rodriguez, and Mier each had multi-hit games.
The Wingnuts open a three-game series versus Sioux City on Friday night. First pitch at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. Individual tickets can be purchased by calling (316) 755-SEAT, or by visiting www.selectaseat.com
For season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts' main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts' official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
American Association Stories from August 17, 2012
- Wichita wins 6-5 over Explorers - Sioux City Explorers
- American Association Results - AA
- Heated Game Suspended Until Saturday - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Walks Cost Pheasants in Loss to Gary - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Roberson Injured as Goldeyes Lose to Saints - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Kolb, Babineau Lead 'Cats to 5-4 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Campbell, RedHawks win Series Opener 7-3 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Diablos And Airhogs Postponed After Nine Innings - El Paso Diablos
- Holdren Humungous But 'Dogs Fall in 10 - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Five Double Plays Not Enough for K.C. in Loss to Laredo - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saints Make It Interesting in Ninth, But Hang on for 4-1 Win - St. Paul Saints
- Giammanco Pitches Lemurs to Win - Laredo Lemurs
- "Goin' Back to Indiana: Can You Feel It" Visits the Steel Yard - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- American Association Results - AA
- Wingnuts Gain Split from Diablos - Wichita Wingnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.