Chiefs Lose 4-0 ThursdayAugust 16, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Peoria Chiefs
The Bees jumped on the board in the top of the first against Willengton Cruz. Bobby Crocker walked to start the ballgame and Cruz struck out Sean Jamieson for the first out. Crocker stole second and advanced to third on a single to shallow right by Douglas Landaeta. A wild pitch by Cruz allowed Crocker to score and Landaeta to advance to second on a missed catch error by Zeke DeVoss. Rashun Dixon walked and Wade Kirkland made it 2-0 with a single to left scoring Landaeta.
Burlington added to their lead in the top of the fifth with Luis Liria on the mound. Kirkland lifted a fly ball to center that resulted in a three-base error by Pin-Chieh Chen who dropped the ball. Nick Rickles brought home Kirkland with a sacrifice squeeze bunt to give the Bees a 3-0 advantage.
The Bees extended their lead again in the top of the sixth. Michael Fabiaschi singled to start the inning and Aaron Shipman reached on an error by Dustin Geiger at first base. Crocker sacrificed both runners into scoring position and Jamieson brought home Fabiaschi with a sac fly to right giving the Bees a 4-0 lead.
The Chiefs made a run for a two-out rally in the bottom of the ninth. Tim Saunders walked with two outs and advanced to third on a single by Oliver Zapata. Yaniel Cabezas grounded out to end the ballgame and finish the off the shutout for Burlington.
Cruz (0-4) allowed two runs on two hits over two innings of work while walking four and striking out four. Liria allowed one unearned run on three walks and three strikeouts over 2 2/3 innings. Sheldon McDonald allowed one unearned run on one hit and a pair of walks while striking out one through 2 1/3 innings of work. Larry Suarez pitched the final two innings, allowing no runs on a pair of walks while striking out a season-high four.
Casey's General Store Player of the Game - Tim Saunders (3B) - Saunders continued to be effective since joining the Chiefs with a 2-for-3 night with a walk Thursday. Through his first five games with the Chiefs, Saunders is 7-for-20 (.350) with two doubles, a home run and six RBI.
Midwest League Stories from August 16, 2012
- Whitecaps' Comeback Soured By Walk-Off Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Rattlers hold on to beat Beloit - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Lose 4-0 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Snappers Fall Despite 9th Inning Rally - Beloit Snappers
- River Bandits roll Kernels, 8-1 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Outpaced by Hot Rods - Great Lakes Loons
- Groff's Tenth-Inning Knock Lifts Hawks - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Markel Continues Surge, Hot Rods Win in Great Lakes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- River Bandits Keep Hot Streak against Kernels in 8-1 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Diaz, Arias Lead Dragons to 12-6 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars Even Series, Beat Clinton - Kane County Cougars
- Lugnuts fall, 2-0, in rain-shortened shutout - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Slug Captains 12-6 - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps Win 2-0, Secure Series Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- LumberKings At-Bat against Traumatic Brain Injuries - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Gameday for August 16 - Dayton Dragons
- LumberKings Announce "Kings of the Diamond" Softball Tournament - Clinton LumberKings
- Track the Backwoods of Bowling Green at the Ballpark - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Bees to Welcome Three Millionth Fan - Burlington Bees
- Two Big Innings Lift LumberKings in Kane County - Clinton LumberKings
- Bees Beat Peoria, 5-1 - Burlington Bees
- Snappers Win in Slug Fest 13-10 over Wisconsin - Beloit Snappers
- Snappers outslug Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.