Dragons Slug Captains 12-6August 16, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Lake County Captains
In the first inning, Lake County took the early lead. With one out the Captains drew three walks to load the bases for Jake Lowery. Lowery singled to center field and two runs scored to put the Captains up a pair. Dayton countered in the bottom half to tie the ballgame. The lead off hitter Sammy Diaz reached on an error and moved to second on a bunt base hit by Jefry Sierra. Joe Terry sacrificed the runners into scoring position and Yorman Rodriguez singled home both runners and the game was tied at 2-2 after one inning.
Yorman Rodriguez did it again in the third inning. With two runners in scoring position and one out, Rodriguez hit a singled to left field and both runners scored and it was 4-2 Dragons. Lake County got a run in the top of the fourth inning. Bryson Myles doubled and was sacrificed to third. A groundout by Alex Lavisky scored Myles and it was a 4-3 game.
It became 6-3 when two more runs came home in the bottom of the fourth inning. Junior Arias singled and stole second, and moved to third on throwing error. With Arias on third and no one out, Yovan Gonzalez hit a sacrifice fly and that scored Arias. The next hitter, Sammy Diaz, homered to left field and the lead was four runs for the Dragons.
Dayton scored three runs in the fifth highlighted by a two run homerun by Junior Arias. The score was 9-3 headed to the top of the sixth inning. In the top of the sixth Lake County got a run back. Jake Lowery doubled and scored on a groundout by Leonardo Castillo and the score was 9-4. Two more runs scored for Dayton in the sixth, Dayton had two singles in the inning and the Captains committed two errors and the score was 11-4. Both runs in the inning were un-earned.
In the seventh, Lake County scored another run. With two outs, Francisco Lindor doubled and Jordan Smith doubled him home and the score was 11-5. Dayton scored their final run in the bottom of the seventh inning. Junior Arias doubled and moved to third on a wild pitch. Arias scored on a Sammy Diaz double and the score was 12-5. Alex Lavisky homered in the ninth. The homerun was the 10th of the season for Alex, a team high.
LHP Danny Jimenez (1-3) started the ballgame for the Captains. Jimenez pitched five innings, allowing eleven hits, nine runs, eight were earned, he walked one and fanned five. Jimenez took the loss. Louis Head pitched two innings. Louis yielded four hits, three runs and one of those runs was earned. Harold Guerrero pitched the eighth inning and struck out the side in order.
RHP Radhames Quezada (5-7) started the ballgame for Dayton. Quezada itched just two innings and did not get a decision. Quezada allowed three hits, two earned runs, one walk and four strikeouts. Wes Mugarian (2-3) got the win. Mugarian pitched six innings, allowed six hits, three earned runs, one walk and four strikeout. El'Hajj Muhammad pitched the ninth and allowed the homer to Lavisky.
The Captains will remain in Dayton, Ohio on Friday to take on the Dragons. First pitch is scheduled for 7:00 PM. Lake County will start RHP Mason Radeke (5-6, 3.77) and he will take on RHP Robert Stephenson (2-0, 3.00) of the Dayton Dragons. This is the final game of a three game set.
Midwest League Stories from August 16, 2012
- Whitecaps' Comeback Soured By Walk-Off Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Rattlers hold on to beat Beloit - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Lose 4-0 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Snappers Fall Despite 9th Inning Rally - Beloit Snappers
- River Bandits roll Kernels, 8-1 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Outpaced by Hot Rods - Great Lakes Loons
- Groff's Tenth-Inning Knock Lifts Hawks - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Markel Continues Surge, Hot Rods Win in Great Lakes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- River Bandits Keep Hot Streak against Kernels in 8-1 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Diaz, Arias Lead Dragons to 12-6 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars Even Series, Beat Clinton - Kane County Cougars
- Lugnuts fall, 2-0, in rain-shortened shutout - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Slug Captains 12-6 - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps Win 2-0, Secure Series Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- LumberKings At-Bat against Traumatic Brain Injuries - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Gameday for August 16 - Dayton Dragons
- LumberKings Announce "Kings of the Diamond" Softball Tournament - Clinton LumberKings
- Track the Backwoods of Bowling Green at the Ballpark - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Bees to Welcome Three Millionth Fan - Burlington Bees
- Two Big Innings Lift LumberKings in Kane County - Clinton LumberKings
- Bees Beat Peoria, 5-1 - Burlington Bees
- Snappers Win in Slug Fest 13-10 over Wisconsin - Beloit Snappers
- Snappers outslug Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.