Sounders FC fall to EarthquakesAugust 12, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Seattle Sounders FC
After over an hour of scoreless play, San Jose went up in the 70th minute when Simon Dawkins scored after a long Earthquakes throw-in was cleared right to his feet. Dawkins spun and whipped the ball into the near post from 10-yards out.
Just minutes after entering the match, Fredy Montero pulled Seattle level in the first minute of stoppage time when Brad Evans' long throw-in bounced in a scrum in front of goal. Montero charged the loose ball and headed in the equalizer from six-yards out.
It was the seventh goal of the season for Montero, who has now scored three goals in his last four games.
Two minutes later, Lenhart headed in the game-winner on a corner kick from Shea Salinas for San Jose's fifth win or tie in second-half stoppage time. It was the second consecutive stoppage time goal from Lenhart after equalizing with Chicago on July 28.
The loss snapped Seattle's league-best six-game unbeaten streak and is the team's first road loss since June 24.
New designated player Christian Tiffert made his first MLS start and created a number of scoring chances. In the 16th minute, the German midfielder curled a free kick from 25-yards out that barely missed wide of the post for a goal kick.
In the 50th minute, Tiffert's free kick from outside the box on the left side was on target, forcing Jon Busch to punch it away. Ten minutes later, he found Andy Rose for a diving header in the box, but Busch made a diving save.
Also making his first MLS start for Seattle was forward Sammy Ochoa, who has four goals across all-competitions in 2012. In the 32nd minute, the striker's overhead kick hit the crossbar after Tiffert flicked it on in the box. He hit the crossbar for the second time in the 60th minute when Jeff Parke headed a corner kick back in front of the goal and Ochoa's header hit the frame.
Eddie Johnson came on for Ochoa in the 68th minute, and nearly equalized five minutes later when Adam Johansson's cross found him for a strong header, but the shot sailed just high of the crossbar.
Sounders FC returns to action next weekend with a home Cascadia matchup against the Vancouver Whitecaps FC. Kickoff is at 1 p.m. PT on the Xbox Pitch at CenturyLink Field.
Major League Soccer Stories from August 12, 2012
- Chicago Fire Rally to Top Philadelphia Union 3-1 - Chicago Fire
- MLS Reserve League: Seattle Sounders FC 0 at San Jose Earthquakes 3 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Beckerman, Rimando, SaborÃo and Johnson Earn Call Ups for August 15 FIFA Date - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes' Wondolowski, Beitashour Named US Men's National Team for Friendly in Mexico City - San Jose Earthquakes
- Three Chicago Fire Players Called up for International Friendlies - Chicago Fire
- Sporting KC Sends Three to National Teams - Sporting Kansas City
- Sporting KC Posts 2-1 Win over D.C. United - Sporting Kansas City
- Lenhart Provides Another Miracle Finish with Last-Second Strike to Lead Earthquakes over Sounders FC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC fall to Earthquakes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Ten-Man Rapids Drop 3-2 Result to FC Dallas - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas Nets Three Goals in Eight-Minute Span to Down Rapids, 3-2 - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.