Toronto FC Sign Irish International O'DeaAugust 3, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Toronto FC
"Darren addresses our need for an experienced, no nonsense central defender," said Toronto FC Head Coach and Director of Soccer Operations Paul Mariner. "Darren has great leadership abilities and his experience, both for club and country, will be a welcomed addition to our club and for our young players. We are so pleased to bring him to Toronto."
O'Dea, 25, began his youth career with Glasgow Celtic F.C. (Celtic). He made his first team debut for Celtic in September 2006 and went on to make 49 appearances during his time with the Scottish club. At Celtic, O'Dea won the Scottish Premier League twice ('06-'07 and '07-'08) along with the Scottish Cup in 2008 and the Scottish League Cup in 2009. During his six seasons at Celtic, O'Dea went on three different loan spells with English clubs: Reading ('09), Ipswich Town ('10-'11), and Leeds United ('11-'12).
O'Dea has earned 14 caps for the Irish National Team, and was most recently included in Ireland's UEFA EURO 2012 squad. He earned his first cap for Ireland coming on as a substitute during a friendly against South Africa in September 2009. O'Dea was recently given the 2012 Ireland Young International Player of the Year award during the FAI International Football Awards in February.
Major League Soccer Stories from August 3, 2012
- Houston defeats Red Buls - Houston Dynamo
- Chivas USA Reserves and Vancouver Whitecaps FC Reserves Play to 1-1 Draw - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- United Drives to Collect School Supplies During August - D.C. United
- 6 p.m. PT Kickoff for Sounders FC vs. LA Galaxy - Seattle Sounders FC
- Houston Dynamo to Hold Open Tryout September 22 at Houston Amateur Sports Park - Houston Dynamo
- United Pair Loaned Out For The Weekend - D.C. United
- Canadian Pair Called up for Friendly vs. Trinidad and Tobago - D.C. United
- Whitecaps FC Add Midfielder Tiago Ulisses - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Sporting KC Returns to Road against New England Revolution on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- RSL Looks to Move into 1st place in MLS with Win v. Rapids - Real Salt Lake
- Toronto FC Sign Irish International O'Dea - Toronto FC
- Dynamo Host New York Red Bulls Tonight Seeking First Place, Fifth-Straight Win - Houston Dynamo
- Seattle Sounders FC 3 win 3-1 - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.