Scoreless Schlosser Leads Way to 3-1 Hillcats WinJuly 28, 2012 - Carolina League (CarL) Lynchburg Hillcats
A pitchers' duel was expected coming into the game with Schlosser on the mound for the 'Cats and RHP Yeiper Castillo starting for the Red Sox. Castillo owned a 2.25 ERA through four Carolina League starts, and Schlosser hadn't given up a run in over three weeks.
After a leadoff double in the bottom of the first inning for Salem's Felix Sanchez, Heiker Meneses sacrificed him to third base. Schlosser then struck out Brandon Jacobs and Xander Bogaerts to end the inning stranding Sanchez at third base.
Schlosser stranded two more runners in scoring position in the fourth inning and the bases loaded in the fifth inning to escape with five blank innings. He left the game after five in 0-0 tie. He struck out nine, gave up on four hits, and walked one.
RHP Andrew Wilson tossed the sixth and seventh innings scoreless for Lynchburg.
The Red Sox went to the bullpen in the eighth inning after Castillo complete seven scoreless frames. RHP Jeremiah Bayer entered and retired his first two batters. Braeden Schlehuber then singled to start the two-out rally. Emerson Landoni walked, and Mycal Jones delivered an RBI-single to center field to plate Schlehuber from second base. The throw from center field went to third base, but high and Landoni came around to score as well. Jones ended up at third. Nick Ahmed then drove in Jones with a single making it 3-0 Hillcats.
The 3-0 lead held until the ninth inning when RHP Ryan Weber came in for the Hillcats. Weber retired two batters before back-to-back singles plated a run. He then struck Jacobs to end the game and record his second consecutive save, and second of the season.
Wilson (1-1) earned the win, striking out three, walking one, while giving up one hit in two scoreless innings. Bayer (1-2) took the loss giving up three runs, two earned in the eighth inning.
The Hillcats evened the series to 1-1 this weekend and are now 18-18 in the second half.
The series finale in Salem is at 4:05pm tomorrow afternoon. RHP Cody Martin (10-7, 3.24) will start for Lynchburg against RHP Matt Barnes (5-3, 3.07) for the Red Sox. Listen live to all the action starting with the Hillcats On-Deck Show powered by Honda/Suzuki of Lynchburg at 3:40pm on 105.5 FM KD Country and online at lynchburg-hillcats.com.
Carolina League Stories from July 28, 2012
- Villanueva Stays Hot, Birds Win 5-3 - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Pelicans Score Final Five Runs in Narrow Win - Winston-Salem Dash
- Big Sixth Inning and Rain Propels Mudcats - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Gallas Rains on Blue Rocks, Snaps Skid at Six - Carolina Mudcats
- Souza Jr.'s Last Blast Leads Potomac to Victory - Potomac Nationals
- Souza Jr. Downs Keys in Ninth - Frederick Keys
- Hillcats Take 3-1 Pitchers' Duel from Sox - Salem Red Sox
- Scoreless Schlosser Leads Way to 3-1 Hillcats Win - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Blue Rocks Game Notes - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Two to IR, Pair Join Dash - Winston-Salem Dash
- Lynchburg Hillcats Game Notes - Lynchburg Hillcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.