Major League Baseball's Last 30-Game Winner Comes to ErieJuly 26, 2012 - Eastern League (EL) Erie SeaWolves
McLain was named the American League Cy Young Award Winner and Most Valuable Player while playing for the 1968 World Champion Detroit Tigers. His 31 wins were the most in the majors that season, marking the last time a Major League pitcher has won 30 games in a season. McLain, Willie HernÃ¡ndez (1984), and SeaWolves alumnus Justin Verlander (2011) are the only three Detroit Tigers to earn the American League MVP award and the Cy Young Award in the same season.
"The SeaWolves are excited to bring Denny McLain to Erie," said SeaWolves President Greg Coleman. "We look forward to giving SeaWolves fans the opportunity to meet and receive free autographs from a Tigers great."
McLain will be the second MVP to visit Erie this season. Dave Parker, the 1978 National League Most Valuable Player, signed autographs for SeaWolves fans at Jerry Uht Park on July 5.
The SeaWolves return home on tonight to open a four-game series with the Richmond Flying Squirrels (San Francisco Giants). Game time is 7:05 P.M.
Eastern League Stories from July 26, 2012
- Thunder-Senators Game Suspended Thursday - Trenton Thunder
- Thursday's R-Phils-Rock Cats Game Rained Out - Reading Fightin Phils
- Fisher Cats Rained out in Altoona - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Series Opener Postponed Between Curve and Cats - Altoona Curve
- Thursday's Aeros Game Rained Out - Akron Aeros
- Sea Dogs Postponed in Binghamton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rain Postpones Series Opener - Binghamton Mets
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes at Erie - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Sea Dogs Game Notes July 26 at Binghamton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Major League Baseball's Last 30-Game Winner Comes to Erie - Erie SeaWolves
- Baysox Reschedule Charity 5k - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.