Salem Outslugs Myrtle Beach 11-5July 23, 2012 - Carolina League (CarL) Salem Red Sox
The Pelicans took a 1-0 lead on Christian Villanueva's leadoff homer in the top of the second, but Jacobs retaliated with a leadoff bomb in the bottom of the second to even the score at one. In a quirky coincidence, both Villanueva and Jacobs led off with their nine homer of the season, while each drove in his 49th RBI. But the inning similarities ended there. Two batters after Jacobs' jack, Almanzar launched a solo shot of his own to give Salem a 2-1 lead. Later in the frame, Meneses crushed a two-RBI triple to the gap in right-center, and Shannon Wilkerson singled him home to make it 5-1.
Both teams scored twice in the third, with Salem emerging up 7-3 after three. The Pelicans crept back within two using single tallies in the fourth and fifth innings, but Salem's four-run last of the fifth broke it open. With one out and the bases juiced, Meneses missed a grand slam by just a foot or so, driving a deep fly off the very top of the left-center field fence to drive in three runs. Credited with a double, Meneses advanced to third on the throw home, and the Sox led 10-5. One batter later, Wilkerson's sac fly plated Meneses to give the Sox a six-run edge.
Castillo improved to 2-1 and now owns a 2.25 ERA in four Carolina League starts after surrendering five runs (four earned) on seven hits in five innings. In relief, Manny Rivera tossed four scoreless innings to earn his second save.
The victory brought the Sox back within eight games of the first-place Pelicans in the second half Southern Division standings.
Salem and Myrtle Beach reunite on Tuesday with a premier pitching matchup on tap. Matt Barnes will take the mound for the Sox, while Kyle Hendricks will toe the slab for the Birds; first pitch is slated for 7:05.
Carolina League Stories from July 23, 2012
- Salem Outslugs Myrtle Beach 11-5 - Salem Red Sox
- Big Innings Doom Rocks against Frederick - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Keys Charge Past Wilmington 10-5 - Frederick Keys
- Red Sox Rattle Roman After Rain in Roanoke Valley, 11-5 - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Dash Cruise Past Carolina for 60th Victory - Winston-Salem Dash
- Late Collapse Haunts Carolina - Carolina Mudcats
- Schlosser Goes the Distance for 11th Win - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Schlosser Shuts Down Potomac Again - Potomac Nationals
- Taylor, Karns Named Carolina League Players of the Week - Potomac Nationals
- Bundy Featured on NBC Sports Network - Frederick Keys
- Lynchburg Hillcats Game Notes - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Patty the Patriot Wins Mascot Fan Vote - Potomac Nationals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.