Justin Garcia named Pointstreak Pitcher of the WeekJuly 23, 2012 - American Association (AA) Amarillo Sox
The accolade is the first for Garcia, chosen by Pointstreak, the official statistician for the league. Garcia follows Ryan Mitchell, who was named Pitcher of the Week in the previous week. Sox batters Matt Tucker and Tim Alberts have previously been named as Batters of the Week in the 2012 season.
The 6-1, 190 lbs right-hander is in his second season with the Sox after his affiliated career in the Tampa Bay Rays system. The Las Vegas, Nevada native is 6-1 with a 4.17 ERA on the season with 54 strikeouts and just 21 walks in 82 innings.
Garcia has won his last four starts and his last five decisions. He has yet to go less than five innings in a start this season. On July 16 against the El Paso Diablos, he allowed only three hits and no runs in seven innings for the win. He followed that performance with a win on July 21 against the Laredo Lemurs, allowing just one run in six and one-third innings pitched.
The honor is the first time Garcia has been named the Pitcher of the Week.
For more information, contact the Sox office.
Monday, Amarillo will travel to Wichita to take on the Wingnuts for the opening game of the four-game set at 7:05. The game can be heard by visiting www.wichitawingnuts.com Game time is tentative and is subject to blackout.
Individual and season tickets are available for purchase in-person by visiting the Sox Front Offices at 801 S. Polk or over the phone by calling (806) 242-4653. For more information on tickets, game times and schedules, promotions, marketing opportunities, and everything else Sox, visit the "Official Website of the Amarillo Sox" at www.amarillosox.com.
American Association Stories from July 23, 2012
- Capra Fans Nine, But Wingnuts Drop Series Opener - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saints win 14-2 over Explorers - Sioux City Explorers
- Lemurs Win First of Three against Saltdogs - Laredo Lemurs
- Lemurs Bullpen Shoulders Heavy Load, Shines in Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Anderson Helps T-Bones Shut out AirHogs, Earn Split - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Saints Club Explorers 14-2 - St. Paul Saints
- Justin Garcia named Pointstreak Pitcher of the Week - Amarillo Sox
- Fans select Abercrombie, Hermansen and Pagan for 20th-Anniversary Team - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Brian Beuning Not Released - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Pheasants Trade for Winnipeg Outfielder - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Fish Release Beuning and Spottiswood, Trade Carpenter - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Late Offense Pushes Grand Prairie Past T-Bones - Kansas City T-Bones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.