CAPS DRAW 1-1 WITH COLORADO RAPIDSJuly 20, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Vancouver Whitecaps FC
"I think it was honestly our best performance, even though we didn't get the win," Whitecaps FC U-18 Residency head coach Craig Dalrymple told whitecapsfc.com. "We held possession by a country mile. We weren't as clinical in the final third as we had been the previous games, but I'm pleased that the players held up the ball for long periods of time and generally made the other team work. It was a good performance and I'm very pleased for the lads."
Only requiring a draw to guarantee their place in the final, the Vancouver youngsters buckled down in the first half to keep things scoreless. Colorado's back line did well to fend off talented "Caps striker Caleb Clarke and despite some good opportunities for both sides, the teams seemed content to round out the first half at 0-0.
Despite the "Caps best efforts to keep Colorado off the scoresheet, the Rapids would finally open up the scoring in the 63rd minute when striker Idi Camara capitalized on a Whitecaps turnover and hammered a low drive from the top of the 18-yard-box to take the lead.
The "Caps would come close to leveling things seven minutes later. After taking the time to build a strong attack, Yassin Essa played a brilliant ball in to Carlos Patino who's strike deflected off the post.
But the "Caps maintained focus and their diligence finally paid off in the 78th minute after some clever passing from Wesley Cain to Ben Fisk and finally Spencer DeBoice who cut inside past a Colorado defender to knock in the equalizer and tie the match 1-1.
The Blue & White youngsters would get another opportunity to seal the deal just moments later, earning a penalty shot after Carlos Marquez was taken down in the box. Marquez would step up to take the shot himself but fired a touch wide of the woodwork. Regardless, the "Caps held on to the draw ensure their progression.
"The team has really come together as a unit which has been a climax of the season so far," explained Dalrymple. "Now they just need to rest and regenerate then I fully expect them to put in another good performance on Sunday."
Sunday's USSDA championship final sees Whitecaps FC square off with the winner of Group 2, FC Dallas U-18 Academy, who defeated Solar Chelsea SC 3-2 on Friday in their final group match to clinch their spot in the final. The U-18 "Caps final match will be streamed live with links from whitecapsfc.com. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m. PT.
Major League Soccer Stories from July 20, 2012
- CAPS DRAW 1-1 WITH COLORADO RAPIDS - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Toronto FC Acquires Hassli in Trade - Toronto FC
- Whitecaps FC Acquire MLS SuperDraft First-Round Selection and International Spot from Toronto FC for - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Liverpool FC Announce Squad for Toronto FC Friendly Match - Toronto FC
- 2012 U.S. Soccer Development Academy Finals Week to Conclude on Monday - Houston Dynamo
- Houston Dynamo Game Notes - July 21 vs. Montreal Impact - Houston Dynamo
- Revolution Youth Players Receive End-Of-Year Honors from U.S. Soccer - New England Revolution
- Sporting KC Readies for Revolution on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- RSL Seeks 6th-Straight Rocky Mountain Cup Victory - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.